Cura settings to fix problems with extrusion(?)

sebhoff

Posted · Cura settings to fix problems with extrusion(?)

Do you have some other setting that would not allow your walls to reach speed?
This is a small model on my printer showing speeds. I don't seem to have that issue. Sometimes I start fresh with default settings and just change what I know works. If you are piggybacking your slicing on old setups there may be settings that are causing issues that you would have to go back through one by one to find.

image.png

Not that I know of (but I don't know much yet...) - here's the project file.

If it doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion with starting from scratch - thanks!

cube.3mf

It was 5.2.2. Have now upgraded to 5.3.0. Same problem.

So you also get very different speeds for anything between the second/third and the last three layers? Odd.

Since I don't have a Creality Ender 3-S1 Printer The printer was created when I opened as a project. I also made sure that the nozzle settings were created new (since I already had a 0.6 nozzle defined)

The result was the same with the speed settings displayed as in the last post.
    I am also running 5.3.0

Did you unselect the Travel moves in your colour dialog?

image.png

Posted (edited) · Cura settings to fix problems with extrusion(?)

I don't use the Colour Scheme dialog much so I am not sure how the colour setup works when you combine choices. It might do some kind of averaging calculation when they overlap or something else?  If I use it I generally look at individual items at a time.
    If you select each item individually you will see that the scale changes so I don't think using them together is a good idea as the scale may not be what you think it is. You would have to ask someone who actually uses this for the real information. Mine is all speculation.

Looking at it more carefully it looks like the speeds don't match the colour legend anyways. The legend shows 60 to be orange but the walls appear to be printing at 45.

Maybe this is a bug or its just how I am interpreting the information. I did a quick check but didn't see anything on Git Hub. You might want to look into this further if it is something you use?

Edited by ksihota

Thanks - will have to look into this further. Now need to sleep. Another day may bring new insights. 🙂

If you are bouncing off the Minimum Layer Time (it's in the Cooling Section) then Cura adjusts fast layers so they take the minimum amount of time.  As a consequence the walls in the mid portion of the print are going slower because there isn't much to do on those layers.  When the Skins start on the top it speeds up to (probably) your set speed.  The nozzle is spending more time on each layer.

To check - try increasing the infill density to something like 50%, or drop the Minimum Layer Time to 1sec.  You will see speed changes.  A Minimum Layer Time that is too short doesn't allow the plastic to cool between layers and you can get a "melted" look in your prints.

I print some models with the Infill Layer Height at 2X layer height.  It speeds up printing, but the "Flow Equalization Ratio" in the speed section will slow down the print speed to keep those double flow infill extrusions from being printed too fast.  So I set that to 0% and the speed is maintained.

Everything affects Everything.

Posted (edited) · Cura settings to fix problems with extrusion(?)

You are right on @GregValiant
    The minimum layer time is set to 10 secs. By decreasing the time the expected speeds can be seen in the Colour Scheme Dialog

image.thumb.png.f106752003d66d79c4750a7dddf0ef4e.png

Edited by ksihota

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Everything affects Everything.

Indeed!

Many thanks for your explanation - learnt something again.

Will now continue my ascent on the learning curve... 😉

Ascent would be good.  I've been struggling up it on my hands and knees.