​Ultimaker 3 WUBA-171GN module drops Wi-Fi after long prints

maht

Posted (edited) · ​Ultimaker 3 WUBA-171GN module drops Wi-Fi after long prints

(Ultimaker 3 running firmware 5.3.0)

I've been doing some 12-24 hour prints and I've noticed the Wi-Fi drops out consistently after around 12 hours. The WUBA-171GN module is responsible for this, and a green light is solid green but not blinking which suggests it's powered but there's no data transfer happening.

What's causing it to glitch out like this after so many hours uptime? The only workaround I have here is power-cycling the machine, which does reliably bring the network back up, making me suspect this issue is firmware-related.

Totally understand that this probably isn't a support priority for Ultimaker/UltiMaker/Ultibot/Ultimakerbot these days, but if anyone could give me some insights that would be nice. @CarloK if you're still working that side of the pool I'm counting on you 😉

P.S. I probably already know the answer to this but I was wondering if the firmware for the Ultimaker 3 will ever be open-sourced? It's still a good machine IMO so it would be nice to tinker around with that aspect of it!!

Greetings from UK,

Matt

um3_log_270323.zip

Edited by maht

Posted · ​Ultimaker 3 WUBA-171GN module drops Wi-Fi after long prints

Hi @maht,
    I'm no longer working with UltiMaker but did have a look at your log files. Only 2 log files are present, which is weird. In the oldest log file I see the printer lost network connection, but this is already present at the start of this log so I can't check if an error was logged causing this.

The most recent log file shows the printer rebooting and having a good network connection.

I can't help you since the provided log files lack the moment in time when things went wrong. My suspicion though is that the WiFi signal is not strong enough. You could add a wireless router that connects to the printer's ethernet port as an alternative, or use a powerline modem that connects to the ethernet port (easier to setup than a wireless router).

I'd also like the UM3 firmware to be published as open source, but given that it shares the codebase with the recent printer models I don't see this happen.

• Thanks 1
    • Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · ​Ultimaker 3 WUBA-171GN module drops Wi-Fi after long prints

Ah perhaps I didn't upload them properly. Anyway, thanks for looking, I appreciate it. I'll continue to power cycle for the time being :P

Wishing you all the best in your next steps!