Suggestion: dual material supports

Paul_Pawelski
Go to solution Solved by Paul_Pawelski,

Posted · Suggestion: dual material supports
Have a setting to allow all but the last two or three layers of supports made in the slicer to be printed by extruder 1 (which is putting out PLA) and then switch to extruder 2 (which has the more expensive, water soluble PVA) for the last few levels of each support before it contacts the actual part. Bonus if you can also make a setting that lets the first few levels of the support also be extruder 2 if the support starts on the part.

PLA cost $15 a kg. PVA cost $35. I really don’t like having to pay more for my supports, then for my parts, just to keep from having the surface of my part flawed.  My work printer can afford that because the part material we use is also more expensive and labor costs to clean up a part are $120/hr (total burden rate for an engineer). There we always use dissolvable supports because the cost of labor is high enough to justify the material cost.  At home, I can’t justify that.  The proposed addition to the slicer would eliminate the cost issue.

• 8 months later...
    Posted · Suggestion: dual material supports

If you have a multi-extruder printer then there are 6 Extruder options to pick from.

"Support Interface Extruder" can be fine tuned to "Support Roof Extruder" and "Support Floor Extruder".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies