wood PLA prints keep clogging

Posted (edited) · wood PLA prints keep clogging

So far it seems like clogging happens in a very arbitrary way. Image attached is showing only a few of the prints that failed because of clogging.

image.thumb.png.1e27d9852975d443cd11f857822752df.png

So far I've tried:

- printing a temperature tower to find the best temperature

- tweaking print speed, flow rate, fan speed, combing, temperature, retraction

- trying to manually unclog the printcore during printing

With all these methods, i've been able to make prints last longer before they clog, but it seems like manually unclogging the printcore is the only reliable way that has made successful prints.

I'm using a 3 extended with a 0.8mm printcore. Anything I might be missing? Will newer versions of printer, say S5, inherently better for printing wood PLA?

Edited by sycamore361

Posted · wood PLA prints keep clogging

It might be wet? Generally wood filaments are VERY sensitive to moisture.

I would say you need to use a larger print core.. because wood filament usually has big chunks in it.. but 0.8 should be more than enough there..

Maybe double check your front cooling fan is working correctly and didnt get clogged up during these tests?

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I would say you need to use a larger print core.. because wood filament usually has big chunks in it.. but 0.8 should be more than enough there..

Maybe double check your front cooling fan is working correctly and didnt get clogged up during these tests?

relative humidity has been under 30% most of the time. should i bring a dehumidifier...?

the fan is working probably. sometimes i notice that the prints actually last longer if the fan speed is not too high... makes me wonder what happens in the printcore, there might be a sweet spot where the fan is JUST ENOUGH to produce a constant flow

15 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Is it possible to pause in the middle of a print to clean the inside of a printcore? after dozens of tries this looks like the only solution

16 hours ago, sycamore361 said:

Is it possible to pause in the middle of a print to clean the inside of a printcore? after dozens of tries this looks like the only solution

Not that I am aware of.