UM 3 broke itself

Flutelab
Go to solution Solved by Travis7s,

Posted · UM 3 broke itself

First layer was OK so I went out to lunch. Coming back, the buildplate was moved 10mm to the side and the print head door was open. After removing the print cores and with some bending, I manages to close the door again, but with the cores in it it will not close. No idea why this was happening, but from the remains of the print I can see some huge layer shifting. No idea why this happens, but my printer has broken itself and I have work to do 😰

P1150331.JPG

What probably happened is that the print detached from the glass plate during printing, and subsequently collided pretty hard with the print head, causing the head to dislodge and the glass plate to shift.

I avoid detaching by covering the entire glass plate with smooth, broad masking tape (Scotch, Tesa...). That gives a much stronger bond with the print. So strong that it sometimes is difficult to remove the print. Make sure the plate is well cooled  down before attempting to remove the print.

20230412_114140.jpg

The first 20 or so layers were still attached when I found the mess. I use a salt solution and it attaches extremely well as long as the build plate is hot. But I did find the small bits of silicone that the nozzles poge through were out of place because oif a blob of resin. After I placed them back properly, cleaned the print cores and bent the print head door back to it closes again, I can print.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I fixed it. Re-installed firmware and did the lift switch calibration. The latter was the culprit. Only problem left is that the front door of the print head will not close anymore. Steel wire to the rescue. No back to the "normal"printing problems.

• Solution

I think what happened is the fan door accidentally fell open and crashed into the (well stuck) part which shifted the glass and probably bent your door bracket worse. The magnets that hold the door shut do not have that much holding power so its possible that some dirt or debris is something was keeping it from full retention and it fell open. Or if it was handled roughly if may have caused some misalignment which affected the magnet's hold.