Joined up writing

Posted · Joined up writing

A regular project for me is printing personalised birthday cake 'toppers'.  They look great (IMO!) but the text is always a bit of a challenge.

The best 'joined up' font that I have found is Brush Script MT on MS Word, but it still leaves a few spaces that I need to bridge for all the letters to be joined.

Can anybody suggest a better font?

Chris

Claire's birthday.jpg

There always seems to be a couple of letters that don't want to join.  Caps in particular seem to want to stay separate (like your "H" and "B").

I've taken to keeping all the connectors lower than the height of the letters and then printing in two colors.  The actual words tend to draw peoples eyes and so the connectors aren't near as noticeable.

I build these "strike indicators" for fishing.  You can see the horizontal connectors between the letters but as they are the same color as the body they sort of disappear and people focus on the words.  (The wording is then glued to the body.)

DSCN3104.JPG

I have a single extruder Ender 3 Pro that's about 4 years old now.

Use the Pause At Height post-processor ("Extensions/Post Process/Modify Gcode").  It's dependent on your firmwares ability to actually pay attention to the Gcode pause command though.  The default for Marlin is "M0".  Some Creality machines don't like that but there are workarounds.

What printer are we talking about and what firmware is it running?

You really want to get into multi-color prints.  It takes a bit of practice to get the restarts down pat but it's worth the effort.  It's a whole 'nother thing.

With a little thought into the design you can do some nice work.  I think there were 4 pauses in the body of the trailer/sleigh and 5 pauses in the drink coasters.

DSCN2660.JPG