5.3 and 5.3.1 not allowing me to slice large print jobs

Loganryan
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · 5.3 and 5.3.1 not allowing me to slice large print jobs

Ever since i updated cura to 5.3/5.3.1 i have not been able to slice large print jobs. It will get about halfway through slicing and then stop making progress. I have left some things slicing for hours and it will still be in the exact same spot.

Hello,
    I am working with Ultimaker 3UE and S5 Pro Bundle.

Cura5.3.0 is stable and favorite, but slicing sometimes gets really slow, or even impossible at a large print job. In such a case I use a previous version, in my case Cura4.6, Slicing gets extremely fast and complete.

Please try it.

• Solution

I am told that the latest version (5.3.1? not sure) can get stuck when slicing - the bar moves across steadily and then stops.

I am told that this is a know bug and has a high priority to be fixed.

Also I hear that it is related to support structures (I rarely use support but it's critical when I do need it!) and that sometimes rotating the part on the plate by a tiny amount can "randomly" make the issue go away.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:45 AM, gr5 said:

I am told that the latest version (5.3.1? not sure) can get stuck when slicing - the bar moves across steadily and then stops.

I am told that this is a know bug and has a high priority to be fixed.

Also I hear that it is related to support structures (I rarely use support but it's critical when I do need it!) and that sometimes rotating the part on the plate by a tiny amount can "randomly" make the issue go away.

Thank you so much the rotating solution seemed to solve it for now

• Like 1

@gr5

Thank you for the latest information and I expect the rotating solution.

I will report the slicing result with Cura 4.6.1 , Cura 5.30 and Cura 5.3.1.
    The data size is 393,987kb (stl) and 36,253kb (3mf as project).

When the data is loaded, the next error is shown

image.png.1841a7caa67cc8ea179061be7fef1855.png

The slicing result is the following;

Cura 4.6.1 can slice it in 2m57s completely.

Cura 5.30 stopped in 5m5s.

Cura 5.31 stopped in 5m34s.

>your model is not manifold

Well that is a problem.  You should fix that first.  It's probably unrelated to how long it takes to slice the model but it's definitely a problem and you should fix the model.  If you use blender then google "how to make manifold models in blender".  If you use sketchup then google "how to make manifold models in sketchup".

@gr5, @Loganryan

Thank you for your advice. gr5 is right.

I modified the data to manifold, and compared the slicing result.

I think the comparison result to show the following things.

(1) Cura4.6.1 notified the data is unmanifold but can slice it completely.

(2) Cura5.3.1 didn't the data is unmanifold but can slice it or not. 

(3) Cura4.6.1 can load data and slice faster than Cura5.3.1.

I expect Cura5.3.1 will be able to load and slice as fast as Cura4.6.1.

Comparison.thumb.png.b5df33a043965d2d732876e5caa670b2.png

85 seconds to slice is crazy slow.  5 minutes is ridiculous.  My models usually take 1 to 4 seconds to slice.  How big is this part?  How many slices?  Are you doing like 0.05mm slices?  Do you have many thousands of slices?  How many triangles are in your STL files?  85 seconds seems very unreasonable to me.

Your loading time is also surprisingly slow.  Typically the most detailed models shouldn't need more than 50,000 triangles in the STL file.  Some people have millions of triangles but that is a waste as the printer can't print to that kind of resolution anyway.  You may want to "decimate" your model (reduce the qty of triangles).

Also be warned that when you slice a model with more than 5 triangles per mm, the printer can actually slow down significantly because it can't process the gcodes as fast as it would normally print.  So too many triangles in the STL can also cause the printer itself to stutter as it prints (it keeps stopping and starting to give it time to fill it's buffer with movements which causes horrible print quality - this is a case where "less is more").

Here is one of many ways to reduce the number of triangles in your model:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_meshlab

• Thanks 1

@gr5

Thank you. This seems to be  a application I want for a long time.
    After mastering this application, I will update the slice result again.

Anyway thank you very much.

• Like 1