5.3.1 Sliced into oblivion

Pridanc
Go to solution Solved by ahoeben,

Posted · 5.3.1 Sliced into oblivion

Folks, 

To be fair I'm too ignorant to know even where to start but I've been drawing up a few bits in OnShape for a few weeks now and then slicing them with first CURA 5.3.0 and now 5.3.1.  Until this file, I've never had any issues at all and something tells me the problem is NOT with CURA but since I'm so far away from someone you might call knowledgable, I have to reach out hat in hand and say WTH  (What in The Heck) is up with this.

First key to me was the print time projected at 7 minutes? Then I decided to preview it and most of the image is a ghost. Yes you can see it all but most is a faint outline and then of course there is a bit where you can see the slicing so typical colored lines. Those are very few!

Below is the project, if I saved it right, so please take a look and let me know your thoughts. I will try a few other tricks and will report back although I'm convinced that since I know so little, my poking around will find exactly zero.

Many thanks, PC

CE3E3V2_Headlight Bulb Cover.3mf

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · 5.3.1 Sliced into oblivion

The walls of the model are too thin. It is like you are trying to draw fine lines with a fat sharpy. Best thing to do is to make the model thicker. You can also try the following:

* Enable the "Print Thin Walls" setting. This will let the printer use thinner lines to print very thin parts, although they might become wider than the model intends them to be.

* Reduce the "Line Width". If you're printing something that has thin walls or webbings, make sure that the line width is slightly smaller than the minimum width of that part. However reducing the line width too much may cause underextrusion due to insufficient flow. To be able to reduce the line width further, you'll need to use a smaller nozzle.
    * Add some Horizontal Expansion to the print. This makes the entire model wider on all sides, including the thin parts. They become less thin that way, so that they may now be printed. This does of course also ruin any dimensional accuracy and detail of the print since everything becomes thicker.

Edited by ahoeben

Posted · 5.3.1 Sliced into oblivion

Worked a treat. TY so very much. Clearly I learn a bunch every time I slice but your knowledge makes the learning curve more palpable.  Again, many thanks!

• Like 1