CURA vs Simplify3D V5

Johnmgg

Posted · CURA vs Simplify3D V5

I just wanted to say....I used to use CURA. I now use Simplify3D v5. I love Simplify3d. The main reason is Supports. It is WONDERFUL to be able to easily remove supports in Simplify3D. And I mean DEAD EASY!!! What Simplify3D does in part is to print supports as a Single perimeter/Wall with no infill. Therefore the supports are soooo easy to remove, Yet so strong. Also it looks like Simplify3D has adaptive support of sorts. So some supports print with some infill and some supports print with no infill. Printing in vase mode creates a very strong Print yet flexible. I can not tear the vase apart. I could probable stand on it with out collapsing. I print with 1.00mm Layer Width for Vase mode. I also use 30% infill for supports. In Cura my supports would weld to my parts. In Simplify3D I can remove supports almost with one finger. And I am using AUTO Support Generation not Custom supports and Support are still SOOOO easy to remove.  Just for that reason alone the $50-$60 upgrade price is well worth it to me. With some more tweaking on my printer hardware. I am now HAPPLY Printing. And Printing and printing instead of fixing stuff all the time. Also it is DEAD easy to lay a part flat on the bed with a couple of mouse clicks and know that plane will be totally flat all the time. No struggling as I had to do in the past even in simplify3D v4. I know that there are probable options that CIURA has that simplify3D does not. So, if you like to tinker all the time then CURA is great. If you just want to print I love Simplify3D. I realize I only will be able to print at 100mm/s to 150mm/s on my printer. But finally after several years of Frustration I am printing more than I am repairing stuff. 

That's nice.  The last I heard they had vacated their offices and were out of business.

As a hobbyist I have no reason to shell out $200 when Cura, PrusaSlicer and IdeaMaker are free.

Laying a part flat on the bed is really easy in Cura as well. Literally 3-4 mouse clicks depending on if you have the part highlighted or not. I've also never had any issues with the vase mode in Cura, it works like a charm and produces strong prints as well.

As for supports I almost always design my parts so that I can print them without supports, and when I really need them I model the supports into the part in my CAD software. Makes for the least amount of hassle possible and it turns out exactly like I want it 100% of the time.
    When I do use the support function in Cura I can't say that I've ever had any real issues with removing them when printing with common filaments like PLA/ABS/PETG, unless there are really small details on the part that breaks off easily.