Lotmaxx SC-10 Shark v1 firmware upgrade, help needed

Posted · Lotmaxx SC-10 Shark v1 firmware upgrade, help needed

Hi,

I bought the printer quite some time ago... recently I changed the hotend from the original Y shaped dual extruder (2 cold ends, one nozzle) to a geeetech mixing hotend. I've been printing with it, but unable to get blending of two filaments (for gradient/mixed color) working. Slicer does the job, gcode shows like it should work, but the printer uses only first stepper motor/filament. I believe it's because the original firmware does not include those settings needed for mixing filaments. (atleast define MIXING_EXTRUDER) I looked at the Marlin firmware buildroot and it became obvious that I could not get all the hardware related settings correct at the first try and might brick/break the printer. I have not compiled printer firmwares before, only some linux software and kernels...

So, I contacted Lotmaxx about the issue and they provided me with a link to the firmware. https://github.com/sm3dp/firmware  Which does not look identical to a Marlin buildroot at all. The printer answers to M115 command as follows:

SENDING:M115
FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:http://www.mendel-parts.com PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel EXTRUDER_COUNT:3

Can I compile a recent Marlin firmware for my printer? Or should I just get the Lotmaxx provided firmware compiled again with required changes to the configurations? Instructions needed for both cases...

BR,

0utc45t

Screenshot 2023-06-13 143926.png

Posted (edited) · Lotmaxx SC-10 Shark v1 firmware upgrade, help needed

This is the Ultimaker forum.  I'll take a stab at this as I have a bit of knowledge of "those other printers" but take this with a grain of salt.  (I also could use a "multi-in-1-out extruder" debugger.)

If you can get a look at the Geeetech firmware for one of their multi-in-one-out printers, it may give an excellent clue as to what you need to see in your "custom" firmware for the LottMax.

Your firmware needs to have M163 and M164 enabled.

As it happens, I finished this post-processor this morning.  It is written for printers with 2-in-1-out or 3-in-1-out hot ends.  It's a Mixing Script and does indeed use M163 and M164.  The "ColorMix" post processor supports 2 extruders.  This "Multi-Extruder Color Mixer" post processor supports 3 extruders.  There are options for Constant Mix ratio and Gradient Mix Ratios and across a range of layers or the entire gcode file.

The way I've written this post-processor (and what I see in the "ColorMix" post processor) you have to slice a print for a single extruder.  It doesn't matter which extruder starts a print as the color mix won't kick in until there is a proper tool change to the virtual extruder.  There should be no prime tower.

On a Windows computer the script would go in the Cura Configuration folder such as "C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.3\scripts".  If you open it in a text editor there are some rules and instructions at the beginning.

gv_MultiExtColorMix.zip

BTW You can't hurt a printer if it doesn't understand a command as the printer will simply skip over it. 

( @ahoeben - was this great timing or what??)

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

This is the Ultimaker forum.  I'll take a stab at this as I have a bit of knowledge of "those other printers" but take this with a grain of salt.  (I also could use a "multi-in-1-out extruder" debugger.)

If you can get a look at the Geeetech firmware for one of their multi-in-one-out printers, it may give an excellent clue as to what you need to see in your "custom" firmware for the LottMax.

Your firmware needs to have M163 and M164 enabled.

As it happens, I finished this post-processor this morning.  It is written for printers with 2-in-1-out or 3-in-1-out hot ends.  It's a Mixing Script and does indeed use M163 and M164.  The "ColorMix" post processor supports 2 extruders.  This "Multi-Extruder Color Mixer" post processor supports 3 extruders.  There are options for Constant Mix ratio and Gradient Mix Ratios and across a range of layers or the entire gcode file.

The way I've written this post-processor (and what I see in the "ColorMix" post processor) you have to slice a print for a single extruder.  It doesn't matter which extruder starts a print as the color mix won't kick in until there is a proper tool change to the virtual extruder.  There should be no prime tower.

On a Windows computer the script would go in the Cura Configuration folder such as "C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\cura\5.3\scripts".  If you open it in a text editor there are some rules and instructions at the beginning.

gv_MultiExtColorMix.zip 3.94 kB · 0 downloads

BTW You can't hurt a printer if it doesn't understand a command as the printer will simply skip over it. 

( @ahoeben - was this great timing or what??)

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that I should get those commands enabled for the color mixing to work.

I'm also aware that I can't break the printer by trying to print object with commands not supported by the printer. As I wrote, printer just ignores the color mixing commands in the gcode file and the object is printed with just one color.

I do not know if my printer works with a recent Marlin firmware.

I do not know how to compile the Lotmaxx provided buildroot. (It does not look like Marlin buildroot looks like.)

I'll try to break down the questions below...

1. Can I install a Marlin 2.1.2.1 firmware in the printer and will it work?

2. Or do I have to use older Marlin firmware, if the 2.1.2.1 is not suitable for my printer? Which?

3. If Marlin firmware is not gonna work and I have to use the original Lotmaxx firmware buildroot, how do I compile it?

I think your questions would be better placed over on Reddit.  People over there change their firmware more often than they change their socks.

Understand that I'm not being flip, but the problem on this forum is that many folks would have to answer your questions with:  Possibly, Maybe, Dunno.

Personally, I've never seen a LottMax printer and yours is now custom.

Since you are going with this customization have you considered a Duet or other mainboard?  You could probably get a more capable mainboard.  Maybe the answer would be Geeetech firmware for one of their dual-extruder M models that is the same physical size as your LottMax.

Might possibly work, maybe not.  Dunno.

• Like 1
    • Laugh 1