STLs being exported from Rhino are being significantly rescaled. How to fix?

Posted · STLs being exported from Rhino are being significantly rescaled. How to fix?

I am going to be completely honest, I know very little about 3D printing and I do actually own a printer yet. I am asking this on behalf of a friend who does know about printing who is helping me with part of a costume.

Using Rhinoceros 7, I have removed some portions of a 3D model's mesh and asked my friend to print them. The only problem is the STLs I am giving him are the right size when I open them in Rhino, but when he opens them in Cura, they're only a few inches tall. For example, two items I have asked him to print are parts of a sword, and each one is 20 inches long both in the original Rhino file and when I open the STL I exported out of rhino. However, when my friend opens the STL files in Cura, they're only 1.5 inches long. I will attach A file if it is of use. 

Full-mesh RIGHT Sword Hilt.stl

Posted · STLs being exported from Rhino are being significantly rescaled. How to fix?

usually this is an inches/mm issue.  Even if you develop your model in mm it doesn't matter if rhino is outputting the STL in inches.  So two solutions:

1) increase size of object by 25.4X or 2540% in cura - easy to do with the scale tool.

2) Rhino, in it's options somewhere, should allow you to choose "mm" for the unit for STL files.

It's also possible Rhino outputted in cm.  In which case you want 1000% in cura.