How to Print Support for just a few few layers ?

Dadkitess

Posted · How to Print Support for just a few few layers ?

So I can't try the 5.4 yet but I've faced some "issue" with the 5.3 Tree Support that might be useful.

I very often use the PVA support and often print part that don't have a single flat surface to be printed on, PVA is a good solution to make a soluble bed that will hold the whole thing while preserving the bottom curvature.

image.thumb.png.2252c6955e89203a2e69ad42838b0d36.png

But it works well especially with basic support, like this :

image.thumb.png.41a65bbe75fcb22e4566677abcba8126.png

The Tree Support will be a mess of tiny branches that will grow for as low as a few 0.1mm layer, and then we have the interface 80% dense support, and then the actual print.

image.thumb.png.3bb3774da42cde6eb01bde3f23642e26.png

image.thumb.png.09772016657fe2e9ec3343f4d8cf39ea.png

You know how PVA is difficult to print, it WANTS to fail so these little jags everywhere are really really not a good idea.

But I'd like to use Tree Support more often, for instance in this very same print, it would be convenient.

So yeah, is there a way to avoid this weird way to print support when there is very few layers ? This is something that we face a lot whenever there is a rounded edge at the bottom : sure, it's something that you want to avoid by design but sometimes it can't be avoided.

Posted · How to Print Support for just a few few layers ?

Hey @Dadkitess,

I split off your issue from the 5.4 beta thread because, as you mention yourself, it's more related to Cura 5.3.

I agree that these kinds of surfaces are not ideal to be supported with tree support.
    I believe that if you use a finely tuned standard support, perhaps a pattern like Lines would help better here.

Maybe there are other on this forum who have suggestions on how to print something like this

• Like 1