Print only with Right extruder in IDEX machine

technicalworld
Go to solution Solved by technicalworld,

Posted · Print only with Right extruder in IDEX machine

Hello All,

Using Cura 5.3.1

Custom machine with IDEX configuration. Using Reprap Firmware (RRF).

In Printer settings, selected Gcode Flavor as Reprap.

Start Gcode is only G28, G29

When we want to print only with the Right extruder, it is becoming very difficult. We tried various options:

Case - 1:

Select the object for the Right extruder. Slice it and print.

Gcode shows as T1, but after G28 and G29 it started printing with T0 without heating.

Case - 2:

Disable Extruder 1 (Left)

Select the object for the Right extruder. Slice it and print.

Gcode shows as T1, but after G28 and G29 it started printing with T0 without heating. 

Case-3:

Disable Extruder 1 (Left)

Select the object for the Right extruder.

In the Right extruder Print setting, change all from 'Not overridden' to 'Extruder 2'.

Slice it.

Only in this case, it was working.

Posted (edited) · Print only with Right extruder in IDEX machine

I will assume that you have the LEFT 2 and RIGHT 1 set correctly so LEFT is T1 and RIGHT is T0.  It is easy to confuse that.

Since you aren't calling out Tool# or Temperature in your StartUp Gcode, Cura should set the Tool# and Temperature just in front of the startup gcode.

In your "Case 1", there should be a T1, and no other "T" lines before the start of the skirt/brim/raft.

If that is true and there are no "T" lines and the printer is starting with T0, then the firmware may be configured to always start with T0.

Try changing the startup gcode to:

G28

G29

T{initial_extruder_nr}

The curly brackets are required.  Cura will replace the keyword with the "Initial Extruder Number" which in this example would be "1".

It's possible that with T0 enabled that Cura has assigned a couple of lines of the skirt/brim/raft to T0 and so the Initial Extruder Number will actually be T0.  In that case it should have heated up.

At any rate, it's something to try.

Edited by GregValiant

Looking at this some more, there may be a bug in that.  In an example slice I'm getting:

• Model set to T1
    • Gcode correctly starts with T1
    • The "T{initial_extruder_nr} comes back as T0 and never changes to T1.

That would appear to be wrong.

To make it correct either:  Extruder 1 needs to be disabled, or, the Bed Adhesion Extruder needs to be explicitly set to Extruder 2, or, the Bed Adhesion must be set to "None".

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Print only with Right extruder in IDEX machine
    31 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

Looking at this some more, there may be a bug in that.  In an example slice I'm getting:

• Model set to T1
    • Gcode correctly starts with T1
    • The "T{initial_extruder_nr} comes back as T0 and never changes to T1.

That would appear to be wrong.

To make it correct either:  Extruder 1 needs to be disabled, or, the Bed Adhesion Extruder needs to be explicitly set to Extruder 2, or, the Bed Adhesion must be set to "None".

Thanks. 

The "T{initial_extruder_nr} comes back as T0 and never changes to T1. Yes, I also tried. It came to T0 only

1 hour ago, GregValiant said:

I will assume that you have the LEFT 2 and RIGHT 1 set correctly so LEFT is T1 and RIGHT is T0.  It is easy to confuse that.

Since you aren't calling out Tool# or Temperature in your StartUp Gcode, Cura should set the Tool# and Temperature just in front of the startup gcode.

In your "Case 1", there should be a T1, and no other "T" lines before the start of the skirt/brim/raft.

If that is true and there are no "T" lines and the printer is starting with T0, then the firmware may be configured to always start with T0.

Try changing the startup gcode to:

G28

G29

T{initial_extruder_nr}

The curly brackets are required.  Cura will replace the keyword with the "Initial Extruder Number" which in this example would be "1".

It's possible that with T0 enabled that Cura has assigned a couple of lines of the skirt/brim/raft to T0 and so the Initial Extruder Number will actually be T0.  In that case it should have heated up.

At any rate, it's something to try.

I tried with Simplify3d. It works flawlessly. If I select T0, Left will start printing.

T1 is for Right,

T2 for Duplicate etc

This issue is there since 2 years. 

I hope Cura is not compatible for IDEX machines yet.

• Solution

@GregValiant.

I hope there is a bug in Cura.

I have attached the image with details.

Cura Preview shows Skirt is assigned to Right. But Simplify3d clearly shows that Skirt is with Left.

@GregValiant As per your suggestions, I tried the following:

Skit/Brim changed from 'Not overridden' to 'Extruder 2'.

It worked. Print started with Right only. Thank you 🙂

Right Extruder Issue-Cura.png

Edited by technicalworld

Cura does not natively support IDEX printers but they can be made to work.

The Raise3D IDEX machines use M605 S0 for Normal, M605 S1 for Mirror, and M605 S2 for Duplicate.  The workaround for those machines is to install 3 printers and give each a proper name (ex: Mirror Printer) and put the correct M605 line into the startup gcode for each.  When you want a Normal print your would select the Normal printer.

I'll think about this some more and if I can come up with wording that adequately describes what appears to be going on I'll write up something on Github.  As I say though, IDEX machines aren't directly supported so I don't know what kind of traction this would get with the Cura team.  If what is going on works fine with UM printers then it will get no traction at all.

Edited by GregValiant