S7 MAC Address Changes on Reboot

mjg1675

Posted · S7 MAC Address Changes on Reboot

Hello! I have an S7 that we're trying to set up, and our workplace requires the registration of all device's MAC addresses in order to be on our network. The problem I'm having is that our S7 changes it's MAC address on every reboot. How can I force it to stay to a static MAC?

The mac address does not change on its own.
    You are likely seeing a virtual interface showing up because the printer is not getting any response from the local DHCP server.

I would recommend putting the machine on an isolated network and allowing it to detect the correct MAC address.
    If this is not possible, open a support case with UltiMaker directly and send them a log file from your machine and they can help locate the MAC address for you. 
    Be sure to mention if your using wireless or ethernet.

Guide for exporting log file: https://support.makerbot.com/s/article/1667337561393
    Contact support here: https://support.makerbot.com/s/contactsupport

Posted (edited) · S7 MAC Address Changes on Reboot

I'd believe that. What we're seeing is that we need to plug it in to the network to get the MAC address (Unless there's a way to find that through the printer's interface without being plugged in to the network), which our system puts it on a no internet/intranet access "quarantine" network. We register the mac, and restart the printer so it'll force DHCP, and when it comes back up there's a different mac address showing on the printer's interface. 

I know that MAC addresses are definitive, but don't appreciate that it's rotating a spoofed/virtual mac address on reboot. 

Edit: I notice that you say no response from a DHCP server. I know for a fact that it's DHCPing without issue and getting a quarantine net IP. So I don't think that's exactly it. 

Thank you for your response!

Edited by mjg1675

It should not be generating a virtual interface (different mac address) unless its because its not getting a response from the DHCP server.

But again the log files would also tell this as well and the support team would be able to help identify that.

• Like 1