I am at a loss

Posted · I am at a loss

I've done some reading but every setting I have read and tried has no change to this. My first 40 or so prints never had these lines. I took a break from printing for about 4 months due to family and work. Now I'm trying to print something for my wife and these lines show up. I even opened files that I have printed in the past and they too now have these lines. Am I missing something? Can someone lend a hand and please and thank you in advance.

image_2023-08-01_215019002.png

Posted · I am at a loss

Hey, so if you're referring to the orange lines attaching both models,  I think all you're seeing is just the travel path of the nozzle in between both objects. Whether the travel box is checked or not these lines will not actually appear in your print. As far as I know they are just a visual representation of what your nozzle is doing during the print.

As @GregValiant mentioned, just toggle off the viewing of the travel path to get rid of them in your preview. 

Posted · I am at a loss

Oh interesting, and its not stringing of the filament in between the models?

Do you have a pic of the issue on the actual print?

Posted · I am at a loss

Cura can display two types of travel lines.  "Heavy" lines indicate that the travel move is being performed with NO retraction.  "Light" lines indicate that there was a retraction prior to the travel.

You can adjust "Max Comb Distance with no Retract" and "Retraction Minimum Travel" to adjust when a retraction occurs.  Those Letters are very close together at the right lower "X" and that is also the Z seam so there is a lot of the between-part travel going on there.  That one would be tough to tune out as the move is so short.  Moving the Z seam may be another option.

Here you can see both heavy lines and the light lines.  You will get stringing as a result of the heavy lines, but they aren't extrusions, just "movement without retraction".  Note that all the (relatively) long lines are light lines.  That's a result of those settings I mentioned.

image.thumb.png.837535ccace9a19484ab87c43ea30e96.png

Posted · I am at a loss
    On 8/3/2023 at 6:42 AM, GregValiant said:

Cura can display two types of travel lines.  "Heavy" lines indicate that the travel move is being performed with NO retraction.  "Light" lines indicate that there was a retraction prior to the travel.

You can adjust "Max Comb Distance with no Retract" and "Retraction Minimum Travel" to adjust when a retraction occurs.  Those Letters are very close together at the right lower "X" and that is also the Z seam so there is a lot of the between-part travel going on there.  That one would be tough to tune out as the move is so short.  Moving the Z seam may be another option.

Here you can see both heavy lines and the light lines.  You will get stringing as a result of the heavy lines, but they aren't extrusions, just "movement without retraction".  Note that all the (relatively) long lines are light lines.  That's a result of those settings I mentioned.

image.thumb.png.837535ccace9a19484ab87c43ea30e96.png

Im going to do another test print going off of what you were saying. Ill post back here when it is done

Posted · I am at a loss

Just wanted to also add, you mentioned you took a break from printing, if your filament was left out on the machine, it could have absorbed some moisture from the air. Wet filament results in more stringing and could be the cause of what you're visibly seeing on the prints.