Ender 3 ignoring Cura settings

sak1364

Posted · Ender 3 ignoring Cura settings

Another 3D printing newbie here with a question.

I'm using UltiMaker Cura 5.3.1 for Mac and I have an Ender-3 S1 printer.

As I've tried using different materials, like PETG, I have changed the settings according to recommendations I've found online. The problem is, some of the settings don't change on the printer.

For example, I changed the temperature and that works fine. I also change the print speed to 50 and the fan speed to anything else (including off altogether). When I start the print the Ender control panel display shows the print and fan speeds at 100 and that's how fast it goes. I can slow the print speed on the control panel and it'll print slower, but I can't change the fan speed. In fact I don't think I've ever heard the fan run at any speed other than full.

So my question is, why are the Cura settings being ignored? Am I doing something wrong?

Perhaps these questions are best asked in an Ender forum but I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks for any advice.

It would be helpful if you could provide the gcode for the print (and the Cura project file, if you have it).

On 8/12/2023 at 1:02 AM, sak1364 said:

For example, I changed the temperature and that works fine. I also change the print speed to 50 and the fan speed to anything else (including off altogether).

Did you change the settings on the printer or in a profile in Cura? The printer's settings for things like print speed and fan speed will be overridden by the gcode Cura produces, so you need to look through all the options because there's things like different temperatures, print speeds or fan speeds for different layers, stuff like that.

One thing I'll admit is weird: I've never experienced a situation where there's anything I can't change mid-print using the control panel on my Ender 3 v2 Neo. Make sure you're running the latest firmware is about all I can suggest.

Posted (edited) · Ender 3 ignoring Cura settings

Sometimes it's a question of perception.

The "FeedRate" shown on the LCD is a percentage.  When it is at 100% then all the speeds in the gcode will pass through the printer/planner unaltered.  If you tune it to 75% then the printer planner will take all speeds and cut them to 75% of whatever they are in the gcode.  The FlowRate works the same way and is a percentage.  If your gcode was set up to print at 50mm/sec and the LCD says 100% then the print will be at 50mm/sec.  If you change the LCD to 75% then the actual print speed will adjust to 0.75 * 50 or 37.5mm/sec.

The Hot End fan generally cannot be controlled using stock firmware.  It can be switched (Ex: "turn on at 50°") when the firmware is set up that way.  The speed of the hot end fan cannot be controlled - it's either on or off and some of them are loud.

M106 lines in the gcode control the Layer Cooling Fan speed.  They are pulse width modulation so in the gcode you would see "M106 S255" if the fan was at 100% speed and M106 S0 will turn the fan off (as will M107).  The fan icon on the LCD should show the Layer Cooling Fan speed as a percentage of full speed.

Edited by GregValiant

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. My apologies. I was expecting an email alert about replies but didn't see any, then forgot I had asked the question. 

I'llKjostad - SweetLife.gcodeKjostad - SweetLife.gcode attach the GCode file but I did not save a Cura file for it.

I did make some changes to settings. But I'm only guessing based on suggestions in videos I've found online. It's a bit overwhelming when you see how many things can be set.

I am having the same issue with My Ender 3 v2. Even if I disable all print cooling in Cura (5.5) for a print the printer fan is still coming on. Either it's a hardware issue and the printer is overriding the print job, or Cura is not outputting the code right.

Had multiple PETG jobs fail because it cant get the nozel hot enough when the fan turns on.

Any ideas wha is going on?

Posted (edited) · Ender 3 ignoring Cura settings
    1 hour ago, Yerbabie said:

Either it's a hardware issue and the printer is overriding the print job, or Cura is not outputting the code right.

Post your gcode and we can see if we can eliminate the second option. Given my experience with Creality printers (and yet I still use an E3V3SE) they can sometimes think they can know better so it could be the first. The third option is that Cura is outputting the correct gcode, there's just a setting somewhere obscure that lets the fan run. If you want to try and eliminate that possibility, please post your project (3mf) file.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

Which fan?

Whether cooling is enabled in Cura or not - if the "Regular Fan Speed at Layer" setting is > 1 then Cura always includes "M107" at the beginning of the gcode which is "turn off the layer cooling fan".  Very few people start a print with the fan on at the first layer.

To turn on the layer cooling fan requires an M106 line in the Gcode.  You can open the gcode file in a text editor and search for "M106".  With cooling turned off in Cura the only instance should be the one in the Ending Gcode M106 S0 which turns the fan off at the end of the print.