Cura slicing failed with win 11

balazsstark
Go to solution Solved by balazsstark,

Posted · Cura slicing failed with win 11

My cura worked perfectly until I have changed to win 11. Then it almost always getting the "slicing failed" error message. I use the latest version 5.4.0 and an updated win 11. Hardware is more than enough, 4090 + i9 13900k. The strange thing is that if I set the resolution to 0.2 mm layer height it will do the job sometime, if I go down to 0.16 or adjust more advanced options, it will always pop up the mentioned error message. I also checked my STL file on an older pc with win 10 + 5.4.0 cura and ofc it worked even in higher resolution.

Do you guys have any idea what should fix this critical issue?

slice.jpg

Posted (edited) · Cura slicing failed with win 11

Have you tried reinstalling Cura? Could be worth trying it using a program which tries to clean up anything the uninstaller doesn't delete (my favourite is Bulk Crap Uninstaller, which as well as checking for leftovers is also great at what its name says - if you buy a new laptop, one of the first things you want install to get of all the preinstalled crap).

Also you might want to try installing version 5.3, there's a bunch of issues in 5.4.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    Added suggestion to use 5.3

22 minutes ago, balazsstark said:

Re install was my first try. Also tried each individual version back to 4.12.1 

Did you try uninstalling any version/s you might have installed using a program designed to clean up the leftovers like I suggested? Computers find new and mysterious ways to fail on us and a corrupt configuration file or something might cause problems. Keeps us people trying to help on our toes.

Also: I'm going to assume you've done this already, but if not, make sure you've installed all available Windows updates (go into the settings and check).

There was a complete operating system reinstall meanwhile so... 😕 problem is with the win 11compatibility not with my exact system. I read many similar issues here with more complex stls and win 11 and also on other pages. 

Unfortunately I loaned my Windows 11 laptop to a friend for a few days so I can't test now, but when I get it back I'll test things. Any chance you could attach an stl file that gets these errors so I know what I'm dealing with?

That would be great! The STL's unfortunatelly not public.

If you could make a new Cura project file with a model you don't mind being seen (or just download one) and make sure it has the same printer and quality profile as what you're having trouble with, then save it and upload the .3mf here it might be a start to see if anything seems obviously wrong there.

• Solution

Install Cura on WIn 11 with Win 8 properties solve the problem.

1 hour ago, balazsstark said:

Install Cura on WIn 11 with Win 8 properties solve the problem.

Could you please be a bit more clear in case someone else has this problem and runs into this thread? It sounds like you ran the Cura installer in compatibility mode for Windows 8?

Just as you say! Compatibility mod solves the problem entirely.