1st print went well, second print gets error when slicing "unable to slice with current settings. The following settings have errors: Minimum speed"

Davidmakesthings
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · 1st print went well, second print gets error when slicing "unable to slice with current settings. The following settings have errors: Minimum speed"

Hello, I downloaded a file (I paid for it) and went to Cura as normal (kind of new to printing but this was click and go) I went with the recommended settings and printed.  The supports were not perfect so I wanted to try again with the tree supports.  The print was a 7 out of 10.  Not too bad, just the underside where the supports were attached.

I loaded Cura, added same file and changed only the support type.  Then I got the error "unable to slice with current settings.  The following settings have errors: Minimum speed".  

I have deleted the files in the configuration file and uninstalled and reinstalled Cura as Google suggested.  I have toggled on and off retraction.  I do not know what else to do.  

I have even tried to load the file into Cura and print like I did the 1st time, just to see if it will... It will not...

I use Dremel 3d45.  Printed using only Cura and have printed 20 times or so with some success (not recently and on brand new PC and not 20 times for this model) but never had this issue and cannot seem to resolve.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

For Cura community.jpg

• Solution
    Posted · 1st print went well, second print gets error when slicing "unable to slice with current settings. The following settings have errors: Minimum speed"
    11 hours ago, Davidmakesthings said:

I downloaded a file (I paid for it)

Don't worry, we don't ask questions here. Besides, there are plenty of free models available.

went to Cura as normal (kind of new to printing but this was click and go)

I've been 3D printing for 10 years and always used Cura. Gotta use something to slice it, there's no way in hell I'm writing megabytes of gcode myself.

I loaded Cura, added same file and changed only the support type.  Then I got the error "unable to slice with current settings.  The following settings have errors: Minimum speed".  

Here's where I actually try to help: open the print settings at the top right and go to the Cooling section. You might have to choose to show custom settings and then click the button that looks like three horizontal lines and choose "all". In the Cooling section there's a setting called Minimum Speed. There's no real "correct" number here, it depends on your printer and the material you're using. If there's a blue circle arrow icon next to it, that means it's been changed, click that button to reset it to default.

I think the default settings are pretty generic, mine is at 10mm/s. try setting it somewhere around there and see if you can slice. There's also the Minimum Layer Time setting above it, again by default mine is at 10s. These control the minimum time it will take to print each layer to give the material a chance to properly cool before it lays more on top.

If both of these settings seem normal, then it probably needs some further examination in detail. If you can save the project (go to File menu, then Save Project) and upload the .3mf file here (you can just click+drag it into a post/reply box and it'll upload) then us nutjobs enthusiasts can have a look in more detail; the project file includes your printer's settings and all the print settings. It also includes the model file, we're an honest bunch around here so on behalf of all the regular posters on the forum, I promise we won't share it, and we'll only print it if necessary to test it. If you're not comfortable with that, then if you could find another model (you could download something from Thingiverse, plenty of cool stuff there) that has the same problem you can upload the project file for that.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 12:12 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Don't worry, we don't ask questions here. Besides, there are plenty of free models available.

I've been 3D printing for 10 years and always used Cura. Gotta use something to slice it, there's no way in hell I'm writing megabytes of gcode myself.

Here's where I actually try to help: open the print settings at the top right and go to the Cooling section. You might have to choose to show custom settings and then click the button that looks like three horizontal lines and choose "all". In the Cooling section there's a setting called Minimum Speed. There's no real "correct" number here, it depends on your printer and the material you're using. If there's a blue circle arrow icon next to it, that means it's been changed, click that button to reset it to default.

I think the default settings are pretty generic, mine is at 10mm/s. try setting it somewhere around there and see if you can slice. There's also the Minimum Layer Time setting above it, again by default mine is at 10s. These control the minimum time it will take to print each layer to give the material a chance to properly cool before it lays more on top.

If both of these settings seem normal, then it probably needs some further examination in detail. If you can save the project (go to File menu, then Save Project) and upload the .3mf file here (you can just click+drag it into a post/reply box and it'll upload) then us nutjobs enthusiasts can have a look in more detail; the project file includes your printer's settings and all the print settings. It also includes the model file, we're an honest bunch around here so on behalf of all the regular posters on the forum, I promise we won't share it, and we'll only print it if necessary to test it. If you're not comfortable with that, then if you could find another model (you could download something from Thingiverse, plenty of cool stuff there) that has the same problem you can upload the project file for that.

Hello, thank you for your help.  I didn't get a notification from this site so I am just now seeing this.  You are correct.  This is the issue, under "cooling" min layer time was set to "0", it was even red in color which seems to indicate an error.  I changed this to 10 like you said and Cura is working again.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of this out.  As a creator I try to do the same where I am the SME.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.  Luckly I had the model saved on the printer so I was able to print a few more for the kids to paint (just had to deal with the support imperfections) but today I wanted to mess with another model and scale this one down since they are painting them so fast and came to check this to see if anyone had responded. 

Again, thank you.