Unable to add any HIPS filament to Cura 5.4 when using Elegoo Neptune 3 pro

tebeeb

Posted · Unable to add any HIPS filament to Cura 5.4 when using Elegoo Neptune 3 pro

I seem unable to add any HIPS materials with my Elegoo Neptune 3 pro, I can add them, but they don't appear in the list of available materials. If I try and use the only one that's there , Goofoo HIPS  it says it's unsupported. I've managed to print successfully  by using the generic ABS profile and editing the bed and nozzle temperatures in the gcode file. Trying to edit a copy of this file works, but the  M104/M140 and M109/M190 in the gcode produced are different to what I specify in the profile.

Posted · Unable to add any HIPS filament to Cura 5.4 when using Elegoo Neptune 3 pro

Go to your Cura installation folder (in Windows it's "C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.4.0\share\cura\resources\definitions") and open the "elegoo_base.def.json" file in a text editor.

You will see this section:

"exclude_materials": [
                "generic_nylon",
                "generic_hips",
                "generic_bvoh",
                "generic_cpe",
                "generic_pc",
                "generic_pva",
                "generic_pvc"

],

Delete that line and save the file.  When you update Cura you might have to do it again.

• Like 1

OK that lets me add HIPS, now when I try to print with it I'm told I have no matching profiles for this extruder .

Where do I find one or adapt one?

33 minutes ago, tebeeb said:

OK that lets me add HIPS, now when I try to print with it I'm told I have no matching profiles for this extruder .

Where do I find one or adapt one?

Are you trying to print straight in Cura? If you can load files onto your printer manually on an SD card or whatever you should try that.

Actually, maybe a more relevant idea: what diameter is the HIPS filament you're using?

The extruder profile (in "C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.4.0\share\cura\resources\extruders\elegoo_extruder_0.def.json")  has a line that says

"material_diameter": { "default_value": 1.75 }

I don't know off the top of my head if it's possible to add support for more than one diameter, but if your HIPS isn't 1.75mm diameter, try changing the value in that file to whatever your filament is and (re)start Cura to see if it'll print then.

...maybe after double checking your printer can actually handle HIPS.

its perfectly normal 1.75mm filament - I've attached a screen print of the error  I'm getting . Following this through takes you to this page https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667411313529 which seems to be specifically talking about Ultimaker printers 

Fullscreen capture 14092023 224353.bmp.jpg

And I can confirm it prints HIPS quite well - see This - did it by telling cura I was printing ABS and editing the gcode to put the right temps in.  

IMG_0880.jpg

9 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Are you trying to print straight in Cura? If you can load files onto your printer manually on an SD card or whatever you should try that.

No I'm downloading to an SD card - this lets me edit the gcode to manually fix it 

4 hours ago, tebeeb said:

And I can confirm it prints HIPS quite well - see This - did it by telling cura I was printing ABS and editing the gcode to put the right temps in.  

You don't need to edit the gcode manually to do this - you can change the temperature settings in Cura (inside the Material settings) regardless of what material you have. There are limits (seems to be a maximum of 365° printing temperature and 200° for the bed, if you want hotter than that, you probably need to find a CNC kiln). If you can't see the settings, click the hamburger icon (actual technical name - the three horizontal bars at the top of the custom settings screen) and set it to show All.

Take a look in the "Quality" folder in Cura.  There will be a sub-folder for Elegoo machines.  It might take some trial and error (maybe lots of errors) but you should be able to duplicate a Quality file and with a couple of changes make one that will cover the HIPS material.

7 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

You don't need to edit the gcode manually to do this - you can change the temperature settings in Cura (inside the Material settings) regardless of what material you have. There are limits (seems to be a maximum of 365° printing temperature and 200° for the bed, if you want hotter than that, you probably need to find a CNC kiln). If you can't see the settings, click the hamburger icon (actual technical name - the three horizontal bars at the top of the custom settings screen) and set it to show All.

The problem with this is I do exactly this - create a copy of ABS with the right temps for my HIPS.

Apply that material and slice with it  

but the Gcode it produced seem to completely ignore those temps and use different ones -  default ABS ones maybe ?

Fullscreen capture 15092023 120244.bmp.jpg

Fullscreen capture 15092023 122345.bmp.jpg

Fullscreen capture 15092023 122607.bmp.jpg

You can over-ride the "Material" settings in the Cura Material Settings main window.  If you have "Initial Layer Print Temperature" set to 240 in your "setting profile" then that is what will be used.  At the end of LAYER:0 there will be an M104 line that will set "Print Temperature" for the rest of the print.

Next to the main Material Settings "Print Temperature" box there might be one or two icons.  If the "Print Temperature" setting has been un-linked from what you have in the Material File then one of those icons (the circular arrow) will re-link it.  If the words "Print Temperature" are in italic font then there is an over-ride in place.  "Initial Layer Print Temperature" may have become un-linked from "Print Temperature" as well.

Cura is pulling those numbers from either the material file, or from the setting box.  It doesn't make them up.  The gcode shows those temperatures in the "prepend" section so Cura is picking the temperatures from a setting.  A project file would show exactly what setting they are coming from.

The icon to the right of the "Search Settings" box is the visibility tool.  Click on it and set the visibility to "All".  Then check the material section and see what you have for "Print Temperature" and "Initial Layer Print Temperature".  The other two boxes "Initial Printing Temperature" and "Final Printing Temperature" are only used by multi-extruder printers.