Why does Cura 'phone home' while printing?

MichaelFiguresItOut
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Why does Cura 'phone home' while printing?

Some of my prints are stopping before completing 100%.

Checked the cura.log file and found this:

2023-09-29 08:07:48,901 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationHelpers.getAccessTokenUsingRefreshToken [64]: Refreshing the access token for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 08:07:48,902 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService.refreshAccessToken [174]: Was already busy refreshing token. Do not start a new request.
    2023-09-29 08:07:49,700 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService._storeAuthData [289]: Attempting to store the auth data for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 08:07:59,705 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.AutoSave._onTimeout [64]: Autosaving preferences, instances and profiles took 0.008000373840332031 seconds
    2023-09-29 08:16:53,213 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationHelpers.getAccessTokenUsingRefreshToken [64]: Refreshing the access token for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 08:16:53,215 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService.refreshAccessToken [174]: Was already busy refreshing token. Do not start a new request.
    2023-09-29 08:16:53,696 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService._storeAuthData [289]: Attempting to store the auth data for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 08:17:03,708 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.AutoSave._onTimeout [64]: Autosaving preferences, instances and profiles took 0.006999969482421875 seconds
    2023-09-29 08:25:59,746 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationHelpers.getAccessTokenUsingRefreshToken [64]: Refreshing the access token for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 08:25:59,747 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService.refreshAccessToken [174]: Was already busy refreshing token. Do not start a new request.
    2023-09-29 08:26:00,483 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService._storeAuthData [289]: Attempting to store the auth data for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 08:26:10,490 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.AutoSave._onTimeout [64]: Autosaving preferences, instances and profiles took 0.01000070571899414 seconds

Prior to printing, I turned off the option to "send (anonomized) print information" and didn't see any other settings that require internet access.

Note that I print over USB because my printer doesn't have an SD slot. If a print stops, trying again it will stop at around the same time (68%, 80%, etc.). 

Why is Cura accessing the internet while printing?

Just happened again. Maybe because I'm using a Temp Tower?

2023-09-29 09:42:55,777 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationHelpers.getAccessTokenUsingRefreshToken [64]: Refreshing the access token for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 09:42:55,778 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService.refreshAccessToken [174]: Was already busy refreshing token. Do not start a new request.
    2023-09-29 09:42:56,044 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.OAuth2.AuthorizationService._storeAuthData [289]: Attempting to store the auth data for [https://account.ultimaker.com]
    2023-09-29 09:43:03,683 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.TaskManagement.OnExitCallbackManager.triggerNextCallback [53]: Scheduled the next on-app-exit callback [<bound method AutoTowersGenerator._onExitCallback of <AutoTowersGenerator.AutoTowersGenerator.AutoTowersGenerator object at 0x00000206CFCBF5B0>>]
    2023-09-29 09:43:03,685 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.TaskManagement.OnExitCallbackManager.triggerNextCallback [53]: Scheduled the next on-app-exit callback [<bound method USBPrinterOutputDevice._checkActivePrintingUponAppExit of <USBPrinting.USBPrinterOutputDevice.USBPrinterOutputDevice object at 0x00000206D62D1510>>]
    2023-09-29 09:43:04,788 - DEBUG - [MainThread] cura.TaskManagement.OnExitCallbackManager.triggerNextCallback [56]: No more on-app-exit callbacks to process. Tell the app to exit.

Posted (edited) · Why does Cura 'phone home' while printing?

It sends anonymous stats by default (like pretty much everything). To turn it off, go to Preferences > Configure Cura > General > Privacy (it's near the bottom) and turn off Send (anonymous) print information.

Edit: If you're logged in to an Ultimaker account (button at the top right) it may be using that to sync your information. If you have a networked printer (I don't, so can't be sure) that may also have something to do with it.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

1 hour ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

It sends anonymous stats by default (like pretty much everything). To turn it off, go to Preferences > Configure Cura > General > Privacy (it's near the bottom) and turn off Send (anonymous) print information.

Edit: If you're logged in to an Ultimaker account (button at the top right) it may be using that to sync your information. If you have a networked printer (I don't, so can't be sure) that may also have something to do with it.

Hey, thanks for the response. As mentioned in my post, I did I turned off the option to "send (anonymized) print information".

I also deleted the line in the config file about logging in but it still authenticated.

Finally just uninstalled and reinstalled without adding any plugins. Stopped the phoning home issue but didn't fix my main issue - my temp tower print stops at 68% every time.

• Solution
    4 hours ago, MichaelFiguresItOut said:

Hey, thanks for the response. As mentioned in my post, I did I turned off the option to "send (anonymized) print information".

Sorry, my eyes got buried deep in the ocean of most-people-can't-understand-why-I-find-it-so-interesting log data. Stupid question that I'm obligated to ask (because I know from experience smart people miss the obvious things), but you did have all of these turned off, right?

image.png.9d37a8eb171c6ba7313889a042cbb430.png

If having no plugins in fixes it, then my guess would be
        a) You forgot to turn off plugin update checks

b) Due to some bug it ignored you changing the setting to turn off plugin update checks

c) One of the plugins was phoning home
        d) I'm guessing if you're worried about it phoning home you probably don't sign in with an Ultimaker account so it wouldn't be syncing your profile with the cloud.

As for your printing problem: are you using Cura 5.4? It has some known bugs, most have to do with slicing, but try using 5.3.1 (you can have them installed side by side) and see if that makes any difference.

(I'm sorry to everyone who has a problem with how most of my help posts end with "try 5.3.1" but it's a valid troubleshooting step, damnit)

I bet that's it! I checked off privacy but didn't think about updates!

BTW, the main issue was Cura stopping my prints before completion. I figured that out by running the G Code file in Pronterface which told me I had Thermal Runaway!

Fixed it in the advanced config settings in Marlin:

#define THERMAL_PROTECTION_PERIOD 60        // Seconds //MFIO Changed from 40 to 60
            #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_HYSTERESIS 10     // Degrees Celsius //MFIO Changed from 4 to 10
            #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_PERIOD        40 // Seconds //MFIO Changed from 20 to 40
            #define THERMAL_PROTECTION_BED_HYSTERESIS     5 // Degrees Celsius //MFIO Changed from 2 to 5

Wonder why Cura didn't mention Thermal Runaway in the logs.

Anyway, I bet your answer is the right one so will mark this resolved.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Additional note, 
    UltiMaker Cura appears to only be calling to the account server - not telemetry based on what you shared.
    This is likely because you have selected "sign in" in UltiMaker Cura.
    It kinda has to connect to UltiMaker's servers to sign in..

If you haven't signed in.. I would report it as a bug to the UltiMaker Cura github
    here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues