Slicing issue with raised part of a model

81anKarlsson
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Slicing issue with raised part of a model

Hello,

I still consider myself a novice with 3D printing and I just run into an issue I would like to understand the cause of.

When I sliced the attached model with Cura 5.4, the logo is kind of cut out from the base and then added as a floating object in the cut out hole. The logo is printed slightly smaller than  hole so the result is that it has no contact with the base of the model. Instead it stick to the support and fall off when I remove the support leaving the model with a hollow logo rather than a raised logo.

I've used the Cura plugin Mesh Tools to make the model watertight, but it makes no difference.

I sliced the same model with Creality Slicer V4.8.2-279 and the result is perfect. A solid model with a flat backside and a raised logo. So how can Cura get it so wrong? The difference in size of the gcode files might be a clue?

The printer I use is a Creality CR-10 S5

DS3_navkapa.stl DS3_navkapa_Creality_v3_m_support.gcode DS3_navkapa 2.0 m support.gcode

• Solution

Here is the backside of the model.  When you merged the logo to the circle it protruded through a little and that looks to be because the logo was at a slight angle.  Computers notice such things.  You can also see that although the model is watertight that it has errors.

image.thumb.png.cf3be542be9d0e591a4d2bf9a0dcac0a.png

Here is that "slight angle".  It's why the top of the logo is made up of several layers rather than just one.  This may be why the logo doesn't fit into the "hole" which you didn't need.  Set the logo onto (or into) the model and merge them.

image.thumb.png.d7dbceba3892291da5cc0f8bde8023f2.png

One of these has been repaired.

image.thumb.png.26b9e21ef05326994f273ede6422a15d.png

Thanks, that sounds like it could be what causes it.

But I'm still a bit surprised that Creality Slicer (which I believe is based on Cura) could handle this error but not Cura.

Unfortunately the model is downloaded from ThingIVers (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4575335), so I don't have the pieces its made of. So modify the angle will be a bit tricky. Luckily the slice from Creality Slicer prints very well, so I won't put any effort into fixing it. I'm just curious why I got the result I got.

Thanks again for enlighten me 🙂

4 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Creality Cura was forked from 4.6 as I recall.

It's also pretty forked up in my experience. When I got my Ender-3 v2 Neo (still a mouthful), first few things I tried printing I sliced in Creality Slicer, and the prints failed (sometimes twice, not game to test them all more than once) but printed fine from Cura, so I just started skipping the middleman.

Shame it stores printer profiles and such in a different format to Cura, would spare me from all the people asking for a profile for <insert new release Creality printer here>.

Posted (edited) · Slicing issue with raised part of a model

Here ya go.

If you load the "Mesh Tools" plugin from the MarketPlace, one of the handy-dandy tools is "Split Model into Parts".  If a model is comprised of separate meshes (like this one) it can be split.

I used that, grouped the logo pieces, laid them flat, and put them back where they belong.  That's what I used to make this.

GV_DS3_navkapa.zip

Edited by GregValiant