Cura not detecting first layer above support as bottom

breexly

Posted · Cura not detecting first layer above support as bottom

I would like to chime in on this, for ages I've been looking for a way or explanation why Cura doesn't interpret the layers above the support / support interface (after the z gap) as bottom layers, since I like to set the flow on the layer(s) directly (after the z gap) over the support/support interface.

Regards

Ksanto

Posted (edited) · Cura not detecting first layer above support as bottom

"the layer above the support gets recognized as walls". 

@breexly It depends on the gap you set between the support and the model.  The default is 1 layer height.  If that is the case in your setup then the layer above the interface has been left empty of support and it IS only walls.  The skin doesn't start until above the gap.

@Ksanto it should be a "bottom" skin.

Here I've set the "Bottom Layers" to 0.

image.thumb.png.9d0dd7ae51ff476d7259a5013b4ad0b5.png

And here they have been set to 1

image.thumb.png.24adb72626c14479e321f021ab3c5787.png

There really isn't a way to set the flow on the "First layer above support".  You would need to set the flow of "All Skins" with the "Material / Top Bottom Flow" setting.  

In the case of my example model it's easy to do because the only ";TYPE:SKIN" on layer 176 happens to be that area over the support.  That won't always be true.  It would still require going into the gcode and manually adding an M221 S??? at the start of the "SKIN" and then M221 S100 at the end of that gcode section.

Edited by GregValiant

Will look into that tomorrow, I did never see any difference in flow over support when bumping up the flow only for bottom layers. Thank you for confirmation.

Regards

Ksanto

When you adjust the "Flow" in Cura it goes right into the calculation of the E numbers so it isn't really possible to see a flow change when checking the gcode.  That is especially true with the variable line width.  There are no "M221" lines to jump out at you.

Adjusting the flow (or speed or fan) of the "first skin above support" can't really be done perfectly in post process either.  The "first skin above support" might not be the only "skin" on a particular layer and there is no way to tell the skin that you don't care about from the skin that you want to change a setting for.  You can only do that by manually making a flow change provided you know the XY of the "area of interest" on a particular layer.

What you could do in post process is list the layers that are involved.  All skins on those layers could have their flow/fan/print speed adjusted while walls and infill and such would not.  Not a perfect solution but it would at least be doable and provide some automation.

Thank you for the additonal Information.

When I sad that I "did never see any difference in flow" I meant in Curas Flow Color Scheme. I do not have the Matrix sighte/eye/vision as you have. (A Yellow, A Brown and a Red Benchy)  😄

Suddenly it works, so as Slashee_the_Cow said :

On 10/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Computer problem diagnostic step #2: Attempt to show someone else the problem, and it fixes itself so you look a bit silly to whoever you just tried to show it to.

I think I expect to see the change from the sides, but did not realise the the walls surrounding the rise bottom layer still not belonging to them and keep there values and so also there color indipendently.

Regards

Ksanto