CuraEngine Slicer (STL to G-Code) and STL Volume Calculator API

3dslicegenius

Posted · CuraEngine Slicer (STL to G-Code) and STL Volume Calculator API

Hi All,

I am a new 3D printing enthusiast. As a coder, I could not resist building the necessary API for my needs. However, I am here to share those here.

Note: I uploaded those in RapidAPI, with an overage price of $0.001 (I tried to make those for free)

The Slicer (STL to G-Code):

Returns a G-Code based on Marlin Firmware. Based on CuraEngine, here is the Slicer API access

The Volume Calculator:

Returns the Total volume, Air volume, Final Volume, Estimated Print Time (Cura reported), and Estimated weight (based on material type selection). Here is the Volume Calculator API access.

Any feature request will be highly regarded.

I hope it will help.

Question 1: Since when did this look like a notice board you could stick your ads on instead of a discussion forum mostly for people who need help?

Question 2: What makes you think people on a Cura forum need API access to CuraEngine? We have it installed. Those of us who need it generally know how to use it. Those of us who really have to do it online generally self-host.

Question 3: Does your API give anywhere near the print settings customisation you can do in Cura, or using your own profile in CuraEngine?

Question 4: What the hell is the difference between the "total volume" and the "final volume" and why do you think I can't just look it up myself in Meshmixer?

Question 5: Why would I need your API to give me the estimated time and weight when they're generated by Cura anyway?

Question 6: Just how big is your ego that you actually picked "3dslicegenius" as a username?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Slashee_the_Cow, I don't think the hostile tone is necessary.

There are many people who want to create a more automated way to create gcode from models (many topic on commandline usage of CuraEngine), and this could be an interesting approach to some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

@Slashee_the_Cow, I don't think the hostile tone is necessary.

No hostility intended, just incredible sardonicism. Subtlety is not my area of expertise.

Regardless of how I feel about whatever @3dslicegenius is doing, as long as they're not trying to harm anyone (and they're certainly not trying to exploit people with the cost to use their API) I have no reason to harbour any ill will against them.