Can't get "Upload custom Firmware" to work ( EasyThreed X1 )

e5an

Posted · Can't get "Upload custom Firmware" to work ( EasyThreed X1 )

Cura Version 5.5.0-beta.1 for Mac

The printer is connected and communicating over USB (I see the nudge controls on the Monitor tab). When I try to upload the firmware, it says "Updating firmware" for about 10 seconds and then "Firmware update failed due to a communication error". Now the buttons are grayed out "firmware cannot be updated because there is no connection to the printer".  The existing USB connection got dropped, and it won't recognize the printer until I unplug and replug it. Every time- I've not once had it succeed.

This is the cheapest 3d printer there is and it needs custom firmware to get useable quality out of it.

Is there a way other than Cura that is more likely to work (mac / linux command line tool maybe?)

I'm not at all familiar with this printer (or brand). Have you tried using their own software to do it? There's also a USB driver on their website - that might help (for a lot of other brands the USB driver is included in their own software).

Also: you can see the nudge controls, but have you checked to make sure they actually work? It would be helpful to establish if two way communication is happening at all.

Posted (edited) · Can't get "Upload custom Firmware" to work ( EasyThreed X1 )

I can tell this isn't really a problem with Cura because Prusa Slicer fails in a similar way. But this seemed a good place to ask, because it's likely someone here got that same error. EasyThreed isn't big enough to have a support community, or even an entry on Cura's list 3d printer profiles.  But it is something wrong with the printer. It prints over USB, but flashing fails. I don't expect anyone to be familiar with the exact model I have but maybe did see some other printer that prints but can't update firmware and hangs up the USB connection when you try- and what, if anything, fixed that.

Edited by e5an

A lot of printers, even from manufacturers who have their own slicing software, update firmware by placing the new firmware on a memory card and the printer will use that to update next time you turn it on with that memory card inserted - does yours offer a similar feature?