Curving prints

Weamg22
Go to solution Solved by Weamg22,

Posted · Curving prints

So it’s not a warping issue it’s staying on the print bed but they are curving sideways and I have traded to make sure that the models are completely rectangular you can see it at the bottom of the object AD183A77-2DDB-4E0A-8EDE-DE64EEADAC42.thumb.jpeg.43bda36e18b64d3bbb476ab01457c31d.jpeg

Posted · Curving prints
    26 minutes ago, Weamg22 said:

So it’s not a warping issue it’s staying on the print bed but they are curving sideways and I have traded to make sure that the models are completely rectangular you can see it at the bottom of the object 

This is the sort of thing that shouldn't be able to be Cura's fault - but just to make sure could you please provide the .3mf project file (in Cura, go to File > Save Project) and a copy of the gcode it generated? But it's most likely to be a problem with the print settings or the printer itself.

Is it starting at the bottom? If it is, it could be that you just don't have enough adherence and the nozzle is pulling it along a bit as it sets. Make sure you have the correct nozzle and bed temperatures set for the filament you're using (and that the printer reaches them before it starts printing, occasionally some misbehave).

Depends on the material, but most of the time I print a big, juicy first layer just to give it more to adhere.

• I make the initial layer a bit higher (Quality > Initial Layer Height)
    • Thicker lines, unless both sides need to be presentable, but usually not (Quality > Initial Layer Line Width) - I have that set to 150%.
    • I increase the flow a bit to make sure it's not going to underextrude (Material > Initial Layer Flow), I set that to 105%.
    • By default it should be printing the first layer pretty slowly (Speed > Initial Layer Speed) but you could set it a bit lower to be safe - also I often set the initial layer travel speed lower than default.

Also test on your printer that the X axis moves freely, and if it's controlled by any belts make sure they're at the correct tension.

Posted · Curving prints

Could you provide the Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura go to File > Save Project)? That will contain slicing settings and such to see if anything seems wrong with that.

Posted · Curving prints

Looking at the gcode, on the bottom layer your lines are spaced out very, very far, especially on the vertical axis. This is very not good because it will provide incredibly poor adhesion. This could very well be the cause of your problem.

image.thumb.png.c43b8034867edfa69db1880f7a95f6d2.png

The lines are also thinner than the upper layers - also a recipe for poor adhesion - usually you want the lines on the bottom thicker than the rest, for example I have Quality > Initial Layer Line Width set to 150%.

It looks like the setting you want to change is Material > Initial Layer Flow. It should be at least 100%, I set it to 105% myself to help adhesion. It's very possible that walls are being moved around on corners because there's so little adhesion they just keep flowing that way. 

Posted · Curving prints

Looking further up, it looks like you probably want to turn off Top / Bottom > Connect Top/Bottom Polygons. It's causing your pattern to be interrupted like this:

image.thumb.png.b44ec86f8494aa3040990e41dfa5390d.png

Also I can't help but notice these holes on top:

image.png.436fa14e36a99e06db1f5d38da58d4a6.png

Are they for screws or something? They don't extend the depth of the model (so there's no hole in the bottom for them) and other than the walls around them once they reach the surface there's no internal support - most of their length just extends into support, which gives things nothing to bite on.

Posted · Curving prints

I replied on the other thread, that's a mechanical problem with the printer and it appears to be the "X" axis movement.  If the X beam was bent you could end up with something like that.  

Posted · Curving prints

Slashee_the_Cow I can't seem to find the setting Connect Top/Bottom Polygons.

Posted · Curving prints

and here is the .3mf saved project.

CE3E3V2_Custom light switch gcode.3mf

Posted · Curving prints
    23 minutes ago, Weamg22 said:

Slashee_the_Cow I can't seem to find the setting Connect Top/Bottom Polygons.

No need to yell. I was wrong about that one, I think it only appears if you're using a concentric top/bottom pattern. And for something like that, you don't want to be using a concentric pattern. I just had no other idea what would make the lines pattern do that and I remembered that was a setting (just one that upon further figuring out "why the hell isn't this appearing", isn't relevant).

More testing now though: what's making it do that is Top/Bottom > Small Top/Bottom Width. I set it to 0.6 and the pattern continued fine:

image.thumb.png.1f48da249baf377e02583f2ee94f24fa.png

The idea of that setting is to prevent small, jerky motions that can throw things off a little bit if your printer isn't properly tuned (belts tensioned, etc.). But looking at your profile, you're printing fairly slowly, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

One other thing that struck me, looking at your project, is that the main area is really thin (1.68mm to be precise, and some of that is infill). If this is going to be placed over an existing object that might not be a problem (so long as you don't press too hard), but on its own that's pretty weak. You should probably increase your infill density by a fair amount - I'd set it to 40% or so at least (if the option for the percentage is greyed out, click the fx button next to Infill Line Distance). I'd increase the density even if I am putting it over something, especially if it has to be screwed in or something (which is I'm guessing what the holes are for) it'd be a hassle to replace. I try to cheap out on filament as much as I can, but I've learned from plenty of failed prints that you're going to use a lot less filament total if you do it right the first time.