Some walls are at full speed during initial layer. Is this a bug?

JRon

Posted (edited) · Some walls are at full speed during initial layer. Is this a bug?

As far as I know, this bug has not yet received any feedback from the development team. So I think it's best, if possible, to stay with version 5.4 for a while, or use a Script to fix this problem temporarily. 

image.thumb.png.34c4177bed10c826029545d1be8ac5e3.png

Edited by Cuq
  • Like 1

Posted · Some walls are at full speed during initial layer. Is this a bug?

I'll throw this one in as well.  It adds the Cura settings to the end of the file.  It does not make any adjustments to the gcode so is for information only.

If you enable "Max/Min Speeds in the Gcode" the info will be added to the end of the gcode and you will get this popup window when you save the file.

image.thumb.png.509cea7357f677a0ed7dd3e951ebe093.png

Unzip it and put "AddCuraSettings.py" in the "scripts" folder within your configuration folder.  It will be available in Cura with the rest of the post processors.

AddCuraSettings.zip

Running into this as well. Dropping "Flow Equalization Ratio" to 0% had no effect for me. Enabling "Print Thin Walls" did, so that'll be my workaround of choice until this is fixed.

Can someone drop a link to the github issue(s) so they can be upvoted?

They are HERE.

I haven't kept up with that one.  UM just closed a lot of "slicing error" reports so there does appear to be some improvement due to show up in 5.7.

• 4 weeks later...

Having the same issue with the latest Cura and Sovol SV06 with the latest klipper. It prints the walls of my first layer on the half of the maximum speed (250 / 2 = 125 mm) instead of the initial layer speed.

On 1/11/2024 at 7:03 PM, crazyramen said:

For me turning off top surface skin fixes it.

I love that it's almost 1am, I was hoping to start a print before bed, first layer fails because printer decides to go Mach 17 on the walls, and this single line saves the day (night). Thanks dude :).

image.png.cdecd09d777e0f3d0d5fda9ee25c1624.png

For everyone else, this did indeed solve the issue for me as well. It's the only setting I changed before re-slicing - perfect first layer. Thankfully, the top skin settings really aren't all that important for most prints!

I may have spoken too soon...

First layer finished well. I have my settings set to '3 slower first layers'... it still ramped the walls back up to full print speeds for the second layer, so something still isn't right here. At least I got the initial layer laid down; those second layer walls ain't pretty, but at least they stuck.

Layer 1:

image.thumb.png.0ef5411bba70f25dd00869b7d97027a9.png

Layer 2:

image.thumb.png.474e94e5da62260275e53851a6b2ad9a.png

Layer 3:

image.thumb.png.7293ae5f664362b766f897428d2f51e5.png

Layer 4 (Full Speed):
    image.thumb.png.bf8ad13e789119dc4379bbdf53b341af.png

Anyone have any further updates on this? I can't make any sense of what's causing this...

Seems like every slice is a bit different - sometimes turning on 'print thin walls' works, sometimes not. Sometimes turning off 'top skin layers' does, sometimes not...

Switching top surface skin layers to 0 was the only thing that worked for me, as well. I'm not having any issue with speeds on layers 2, 3, and 4 - they all look like they're gradually scaling up as intended

I experienced this with a model on 5.6.0, and the problem went away with 5.7.0-beta.1 for the same model and settings.  Everybody try upgrading?  Previously, Flow Equalization Ratio and Print Thin Walls had made no difference for me, so I'm hopeful this is fixed generally.

• Like 1

Workaround:

Support blocker, set to first layer height, expand to cover the print area, set per model settings as cutting mesh, set custom speeds. Done, for now... Lame ass it isn't updated with at LEAST this fixed by now,.

3 hours ago, mrxzenergy said:

Workaround:

Support blocker, set to first layer height, expand to cover the print area, set per model settings as cutting mesh, set custom speeds.

That'll add one extra bottom layer that you'll have to take into account. And I've never experienced this bug, so I can't test it, but I'm guessing there's a chance it might just make the second layer (the new initial bottom layer of the model) print at the wrong speed.

3 hours ago, mrxzenergy said:

Lame ass it isn't updated with at LEAST this fixed by now,.

really don't have much patience for stuff like this. Cura (or in this case, possibly CuraEngine) is an incredibly complex piece of software, and getting rid of a bug in software isn't like swatting a fly.

The developers are well aware of this bug and want it fixed at least as much as you do, but it can be nearly impossible to track these things down, especially when it only happens sporadically, which makes it harder to both find and to reliably test any potential fix.

If you think you can help, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.