Adding rotary axis 3D printing (think FDM lathe)

rasmubur000

Posted · Adding rotary axis 3D printing (think FDM lathe)

I'm wondering what it would take to add a plugin or extension to Cura that allows for creating custom gcode for use on a rotary axis 3D printer. Here's a video that shows what I'm talking about when I say rotary axis: 

I know some python, and want to build my skill set to allow me to create something like this and am wondering if someone could help point me in the right direction of how I might learn to develop this idea, or if there's anyone else on the forum that has tried doing something similar

Posted · Adding rotary axis 3D printing (think FDM lathe)

Closest I've seen on the forum so far is someone making their own printed who wanted Marlin but with line numbers added at the start.

You'd probably have to call in @MariMakes or @Dustin to see if it's possible in any proper capacity. Or scrounge around the files in the GitHub repo until you find something. Or it could be in the CuraEngine GitHub repo. CuraEngine seems to be written in C++, and that's big step simultaneously up, sideways and down from Python.

I'll give you about five trillion bonus points if you can write a post processing script that turns Marlin code into the code you want though. I'm pretty sure that's definitely the wrong way to do it, but post-processors are written in Python (though for something like this - if it is even possible - you'd need to know a lot more than "some").