Ultimaker S5 material switch mid-print not working anymore since Firmware 8.3 update..

ronvanvliet
Go to solution Solved by Onno,

Posted · Ultimaker S5 material switch mid-print not working anymore since Firmware 8.3 update..

Hi, 

I'm running 2 Ultimaker S5 with material stations. Since firmware update 8.3 the device does not switch empty spool by it self anymore mid-print. 

This is happening on both my devices so I reckon it's not an isolated issue for one device alone. 

Anyone else having the same issue?

I will downgrade back to the previous firmware in the meantime to see if this solves the issue. Any other solutions?

• Solution
    Posted · Ultimaker S5 material switch mid-print not working anymore since Firmware 8.3 update..

Hi Ron,

Thanks for flagging this! UltiMaker firmware developer here: I've been looking into this issue today.

Could it be that this happened during a dual-material print?

From testing I've been doing today, it looks like automatic material switch-over works as expected in a single-material print. However, as soon as I try the same thing in a dual-material print, the printer hangs forever during the switching process. If this is the same thing you've been seeing, then this indeed appears to be a rather unfortunate regression in 8.3.0. I'm very sorry about that! Downgrading to current stable (8.2) should for now solve the issue.

If there are any additional details you could provide us, those would be very welcome. What kind of print configuration did this happen in? (Number of materials in the print, single- or dual-material print; etc.) And what are the exact symptoms you're seeing? Especially knowing what you see on the touchscreen when this happens, would be helpful.

Best regards,

Onno

• Like 1
    • Heart 1

Hi Onno, it's solved.

I had downgraded the firmware to the stable variant, and this solved the issue. I was just testing and I now noticed that the material switch worked fine again. 

I'm printing Ultimaker tough pla and basf BVOH (have been printing this combo for the past year).

You will see nothing special on the touchscreen display. Just the regular pause menu with turning wheel that keeps turning indicating that it's switching materials. It also indicates in the material menu that the spool in question is empty, which is correct at that point. 

So, to solve the issue, downgrade to the stable firmware 👍

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys, didnt notice there was a new firmware. Fair play on taking ownership of it as well, most companies wouldn't have done that and just glossed over it.

image.thumb.png.3c614e550a69fb00e47d903a30786f6e.png

• Heart 1