Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: hole_xy_offset_max_diameter

andymoz
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: hole_xy_offset_max_diameter

Since Cura 5.4 I have not been able to slice 'ANYTHING'. I assumed it was the issue others were seeing, but rotating the model or changing settings doesn't work - I cannot slice anything.

5.5 - same issue, 

5.6 - same issue.

I spent some time today and the only thing I can see in the logs is this message about an error trying to retrieve a setting with no value.

> Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: hole_xy_offset_max_diameter

However, this is not a setting in CURA for me at all? It is not listed in the print settings with 'show all', and it's not in the Preferences-> Settings Visibility page either.

I have Hole Horizontal expansion, but nothing for the max diameter ?

Any pointers on how I can resolve this to make the slice complete ? I would really like to be able to use the later CURA versions.

Cura 5.3 works fine with same data/profiles etc.

rest of partial log around the slice call:

2023-11-29 09:56:17,739 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] 
2023-11-29 09:56:17,739 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] [2023-11-29 09:56:17.739] [info] Progress: start accomplished in 0.000s
2023-11-29 09:56:17,740 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] [2023-11-29 09:56:17.739] [info] Starting slice...
2023-11-29 09:56:17,740 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] [2023-11-29 09:56:17.739] [info] Slicing model...
2023-11-29 09:56:17,740 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] [2023-11-29 09:56:17.740] [info] Slice of mesh took 0.001 seconds
2023-11-29 09:56:17,741 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] [2023-11-29 09:56:17.741] [error] Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: hole_xy_offset_max_diameter
2023-11-29 09:56:17,741 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] [2023-11-29 09:56:17.741] [info] Closing connection.
2023-11-29 09:56:17,971 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Backend.Backend._logSocketState [240]: Socket state changed to Closing
2023-11-29 09:56:17,972 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Backend.Backend._onSocketError [264]: Socket debug: Arcus Error (13): Closing socket because other side requested close.
2023-11-29 09:56:17,972 - DEBUG - [EngineOutputThread] UM.Backend.Backend._backendLog [140]: [Backend] 
2023-11-29 09:56:17,972 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.Backend.Backend._logSocketState [242]: Socket state changed to Closed

Posted · Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: hole_xy_offset_max_diameter

It's Walls > Hole Horizontal Expansion Max Diameter. If it's not visible, then just put a value into Hole Horizontal Expansion and it'll show up. Just put in something like 0.1 and then set Hole Horizontal Expansion back to 0.

Posted (edited) · Trying to retrieve setting with no value given: hole_xy_offset_max_diameter

Hi, Thanks for the pointer - I just went and checked through this and for me that setting does not exist. ( screenshot of 'all' selected and I entered value to Hole Horizontal Expansion and also the other two expansion entries just for luck.

So it seems to be missing somehow completely from CURA for me, but only since 5.4 onwards ? I don't understand the inner workings, but is there a file on disk or something which controls this I can check ?

image.thumb.png.fa32dc1b58a402f7087e875437dc59ff.png

Edited by andymoz

• Solution

Go to the Cura configuration folder (in Cura, go to Help > Show Configuration Folder) and open cura.cfg in a text editor (on Windows I'm quite a fan of Notepad++, but regular notepad or whatever should do). Close Cura, it'll probably have a lock on the file that stops you editing it.

There will be two very long lines, one near the top in the [general] section that starts with visible_settings = and one further down in the [cura] section starting with custom_visible_settings = - those contain the settings that you can see.

Search the file for hole_xy and in my case I get four results: there's a hole_xy_offset and hole_xy_offset_max_diameter in each of those two long lines. If you don't have both of those in both of the settings lines, add them manually, at the end just put a semicolon then whatever setting is missing (like ;hole_xy_offset_max_diameter) - it's not too hard to figure out the format once you see what's already there.

If both of those settings are already in both of those lines... then this idea is a bust. If you had to add any, restart Cura, set a hole horizontal expansion and hopefully the max diameter setting will show up. If it doesn't, then the idea wasn't a bust, just the result 🙂.