No Thumbnail on creality 3 vs2

SteveBright

Posted · No Thumbnail on creality 3 vs2

Ok so I ended up trying your file that you modified @PartySausage and that didn't work for me but I did try the original file from the person that you credited. I put that one in Cura and once I set it up and sliced it it game me a message saying that the Preview was made which I have never gotten before. but when i went to check on my printer it still wasn't there. Im gonna try updating the interface for the screen and see if that fixes it.

@Mesaclimber7431Sorry you didn't manage to get it working. I don't have access to a V2 Ender so can't really help that much.

One thing you could try is slicing the file in Creality Print & see if that works since Creality Print has native thumbnail support. That would confirm if your printer f/w actually supports the thumbnail preview

Then you could try slicing the same file in Cura and compare the contents of the gcode files for the generated thumbnail. Paying particular attention to the thumbnail format jpg, png etc & the image pixel size, which should be on the first line of the thumbnail code.

Also the thumbnail code needs to be at the top of the file before any other information. If it isn't it won't work on the printer. The Ender is very fussy about that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PartySausage said:

One thing you could try is slicing the file in Creality Print & see if that works since Creality Print has native thumbnail support. That would confirm if your printer f/w actually supports the thumbnail preview

Didn't you read my post mocking Creality Print (deservedly) at every opportunity and showing that even it won't always produce files with valid (or in my case, any attempt at) thumbnails?

Still, that's just me. YMMV. @Mesaclimber7431 if you can get some gcode from Creality Print that does have a thumbnail and then some from Cura which doesn't, could you please post them so I can compare?

sorry @Slashee_the_Cow I must have misunderstood your post. Although I saw that you had issues with the thumbnail in Creality Print. The screen captures you posted showed a different UI to my S1 Pro (Which may be the stock UI on the E3V3SE) & I didn't know if you had a custom F/W installed or if the issue was only a problem on the E3V3SE.

Since @Mesaclimber7431 is using a E3V2 I responded accordingly as I haven't had any issues with thumbnails generated through Creality Print for my S1 Pro so thought it was at least worth a try as it was the Creality Print gcode I referred to when trying to modify the script I had to work on the S1 Pro

Posted (edited) · No Thumbnail on creality 3 vs2
    2 minutes ago, PartySausage said:

didn't know if you had a custom F/W installed or if the issue was only a problem on the E3V3SE.

Neither, technically. I could never get thumbnails working on my Ender-3 V2 Neo either before it died. The screen and UI of the two of them are pretty much the same, except the V3 has more options for the auto bed levelling (which you need because there is exactly zero manual bed levelling possible).

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    • Like 1

I tried this script on my Ender 3 S1 Plus and didn't end up working. Is there a modified script I could use for Cura?

Not sure ... 

Edited by flight-commander
    wrong post

On 12/15/2023 at 7:41 PM, PartySausage said:

Glad it's working. The procedure is a little different under Windows

1. Download the file
    2. Copy to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<ver>\scripts
    3. Start Cura
    4. In Cura, Select Extensions > Post-Processing > Modify G-Code
    5. Select 'Add Script' 
    6. Select the downloaded plugin from the list (I've attached my tweaked version 'Create Ender-3 S1 Pro Thumbnail')
    7. Ensure the Width x Height is 300 px & Close
    8. Slice & Save the file.

CreateEnder3S1ProThumbnail.zip 1.49 kB · 267 downloads

Did all that but still my S1 Pro not showing the thumbnail

@Madnamie The script works so there must be something not quite right with your setup. So some questions?

Are you printing the file from the SD card?

Do you have the latest S1 Pro F/W? - Ender-3 S1_Pro_HWv24S1_301_SWV2.0.8.28F4_F401_FDM_LASER

The thumbnail code needs to be at the top of the file before any other information. Open the gcode file in notepad & make sure it is at the top if it isn't it won't work on the printer. The Ender is very fussy about that.

Also if you are using any other post processor scripts they can impact the position of the thumbnail code in the gcode file. Ensure that the Thumbnail post processor is the last one in the list of any post processor scripts you are using

It's possible @Madnamie might have a version with a different motherboard or something too. I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement about any model of Creality printer other than "it has its quirks". I've had different problems with E3V3SE's bought within a few months of each other.

1 hour ago, PartySausage said:

@Madnamie The script works so there must be something not quite right with your setup. So some questions?

Are you printing the file from the SD card?

Do you have the latest S1 Pro F/W? - Ender-3 S1_Pro_HWv24S1_301_SWV2.0.8.28F4_F401_FDM_LASER

The thumbnail code needs to be at the top of the file before any other information. Open the gcode file in notepad & make sure it is at the top if it isn't it won't work on the printer. The Ender is very fussy about that.

Also if you are using any other post processor scripts they can impact the position of the thumbnail code in the gcode file. Ensure that the Thumbnail post processor is the last one in the list of any post processor scripts you are using

Hi , yes i am printing from sd card. I have the latest firware.

Download Product Firmware

Ender-3 S1_Pro_JPN KR_HWv24S1_301_SWV2.0.8.28F4_F401_FDM_LASER Oct 27,2023 & Download

7 minutes ago, Madnamie said:

Hi , yes i am printing from sd card. I have the latest firware.

Download Product Firmware

Ender-3 S1_Pro_JPN KR_HWv24S1_301_SWV2.0.8.28F4_F401_FDM_LASER Oct 27,2023 & Download

IMG_5182.jpeg

@Madnamie It looks like you are also using another thumbnail post processor script. The 300 x 300 thumbnail needs to be the very first item in the gcode file or the ender won't use it.

You can still use other post processor scripts but to ensure that the one for generating the thumbnail for the S1 Pro is at the top of the gcode file, I've found that the post processor script must be positioned as the last one in your post processor list. See the capture of my setup below

image.thumb.png.52b8f3831c7107c3ac9dde3cd919fab1.png

2 hours ago, PartySausage said:

@Madnamie It looks like you are also using another thumbnail post processor script. The 300 x 300 thumbnail needs to be the very first item in the gcode file or the ender won't use it.

You can still use other post processor scripts but to ensure that the one for generating the thumbnail for the S1 Pro is at the top of the gcode file, I've found that the post processor script must be positioned as the last one in your post processor list. See the capture of my setup below

image.thumb.png.52b8f3831c7107c3ac9dde3cd919fab1.png

Hi. I reflashed the printer and screen firmware, and I removed all post scripts, and kept only your  Ender 3 S1 Pro Thumbnail script V2. Restarted Cura, then sliced a model.  It showed that a thumbnail was created. Then i opened the gcode in notepad. But it still kept the 32 x32 thumbnail on top of the 300 x 300. I dont know why it does that?  The thumbnail works when i use creality print. I will take a short video tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Madnamie said:

The thumbnail works when i use creality print.

Then you have a lot better luck than me, because not even Creality Print produces gcode files with a thumbnail for my E3V3SE.

10 hours ago, Madnamie said:

But it still kept the 32 x32 thumbnail on top of the 300 x 300. I dont know why it does that?

I can't explain it either I'm afraid.  One thing that doesn't add up is the generated gcode for my thumbnail script should start with ; jpg begin 300*300 where your screen shot is ; thumbnail begin 300 300 so I don't know what is creating either the 32 32 or 300 300 thumbnails in your gcode as the syntax doesn't match my script.

Can you search for jpg begin in your file & see if it is found anywhere in the file?

Edited by PartySausage

31 minutes ago, PartySausage said:

I can't explain it either I'm afraid.  One thing that doesn't add up is the generated gcode for my thumbnail script should start with ; jpg begin 300*300 where your screen shot is ; thumbnail begin 300 300 so I don't know what is creating either the 32 32 or 300 300 thumbnails in your gcode as the syntax doesn't match my script.

Can you search for jpg begin in your file & see if it is found anywhere in the file?

I had to delete everything in notepad from the top untill jpg 300x 300 was on the top saved it . Then put it in the printer and the it worked. I hope i dont have to do that al the time?

image.jpg

Just now, Madnamie said:

I had to delete everything in notepad from the top untill jpg 300x 300 was on the top saved it . Then put it in the printer and the it worked. I hope i dont have to do that al the time?

image.jpg

Ho do i get my thumbail to stay on this screen below

image.jpg

@Madnamie Glad you've sort of got it working. If you can work out what's generating the other thumbnails & disable them you shouldn't have to edit the gcode in notepad.

Unfortunately the thumbnail is displayed in preview only & doesn't display on the main screen 

In theory, it might be possible to make a post-processor that runs last that deletes it, but if it's being added despite your post being the only one in there, I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.

Wouldn't be hard to make a Python script you can run and it'll delete the 32x32 thumbnail from every gcode file in a folder that has one... that's an offer, if you're interested (I'd just need a couple of sample gcode files which have both the 32x32 and 300x300 thumbnails to test with).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PartySausage said:

@Madnamie Glad you've sort of got it working. If you can work out what's generating the other thumbnails & disable them you shouldn't have to edit the gcode in notepad.

Unfortunately the thumbnail is displayed in preview only & doesn't display on the main screen 

I must say i used the use cura all the time, then prusa and since yesterday creality print. I am quite impressed. Got n very decent benchy printed. Thanks for your help i will still follo the page to for update and im sure i wil have mor questions later👍🏻

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madnamie said:

I must say i used the use cura all the time, then prusa and since yesterday creality print. I am quite impressed. Got n very decent benchy printed. Thanks for your help i will still follo the page to for update and im sure i wil have mor questions later👍🏻

I got it right. I uninstalled Cura. Reinstalled it, and when i checked to gcode in notepad, still the same problem. Then uninstalled it again, went into program files, users, user, appdata, roaming and then deleted the cura folder. ( turns out when you uninstall cura, some files are not removed) Reinstalled cura again, copy and pasted your file again. Started cura, went through all the sellecting printer exc. Went to extensions, post processing, modify gcode, selected your thumbnail v2, closed it, closed cura, started it again, sliced a model. Opened the gcode in notepad. And only your code was there💪🏼💪🏼👍🏻👍🏻. And now it works on the printer. 👍🏻👍🏻 Thanks Again. 

1 hour ago, Madnamie said:

I got it right. I uninstalled Cura. Reinstalled it, and when i checked to gcode in notepad, still the same problem. Then uninstalled it again, went into program files, users, user, appdata, roaming and then deleted the cura folder. ( turns out when you uninstall cura, some files are not removed) Reinstalled cura again, copy and pasted your file again. Started cura, went through all the sellecting printer exc. Went to extensions, post processing, modify gcode, selected your thumbnail v2, closed it, closed cura, started it again, sliced a model. Opened the gcode in notepad. And only your code was there💪🏼💪🏼👍🏻👍🏻. And now it works on the printer. 👍🏻👍🏻 Thanks Again. 

Yippee Glad you nailed it 🎉🎊🏆 🙂