No Thumbnail on creality 3 vs2

SteveBright

Posted · No Thumbnail on creality 3 vs2

thumbnail not showing on Creality 3 V2. Hi, in Cura I've selected extensions and added create Thumbnail, sliced and saved. But a thumbnail does NOT show on the creality 3 vs 2. If I use the creality slicer it does, but Cura seems a bit better. Is there a way to get Cura to add add a thumbnail that will show on Creality 3 V2? Cheers Steve

If you compare the cura & Creality gcode files created when you slice you'll see that the Creality slicer puts the thumbnail at the top of the gcode, where cura puts it further down, which is one reason for it not working as it needs to be the first item in the file. I also think the cura thumbnail format isn't correct for Creality printers either . There's a couple of ender specific post-processor scripts in the cura marketplace, which may work for your printer.

I tweaked one of those store post-processing scripts designed for the neo v2 to get the thumbnails working on my S1 Pro, but the screen on my printer is different to the one on the Ender 3 V2 so it probably wouldn't work for your printer

1 hour ago, PartySausage said:

... There's a couple of ender specific post-processor scripts in the cura marketplace ...

Sorry to jump in, but how do you find these? I've searched market place for "ender" "creality" and the like with no luck. I'm sure I'm doing it "not right". Any hints would be appreciated. 

I couldn't find clear docs to get this installed on my OSx-based system. So if anyone is looking for general steps... 

1. Download the file
    2. Copy to ~/Library/Application Support/Cura/<vrs>/scripts
    3. (Re)Start Cura
    4. Load Model to slice
    5. Slice
    6. When you get to the "save" you will get the option to execute the scripts. Add this one
    7. Slice again. 

Step 6 is sticky for scripts. 

The script did not work on Ender 3 S1 Pro with 2.0.8.28F4 (401) logic and 1.0.8 display. So...

1. Modify until it works

Thanks for the learning!

• Like 1

Glad it's working. The procedure is a little different under Windows

1. Download the file
    2. Copy to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<ver>\scripts
    3. Start Cura
    4. In Cura, Select Extensions > Post-Processing > Modify G-Code
    5. Select 'Add Script' 
    6. Select the downloaded plugin from the list (I've attached my tweaked version 'Create Ender-3 S1 Pro Thumbnail')
    7. Ensure the Width x Height is 300 px & Close
    8. Slice & Save the file.

CreateEnder3S1ProThumbnail.zip

• Like 6
    • Heart 1

AH!

If you just change the path in your step #2, that works on OSx as well! 

And thanks to your modified script my little ender now has nearly meaningful displays when a cura sliced gcode is selected. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

On 15.12.2023 at 20:41, PartySausage said:

Cieszę się, że to działa. Procedura jest nieco inna w systemie Windows

1. Pobierz plik
    2. Skopiuj do C:\Users\< użytkownik> \AppData\Roaming\cura\ <ver> \scripts
    3. Uruchom Curę
    4. W programie Cura wybierz opcję Rozszerzenia > Przetwarzanie końcowe > Modyfikuj kod G
    5. Wybierz „Dodaj skrypt” 
    6. Wybierz pobraną wtyczkę z listy (załączam moją poprawioną wersję „Utwórz miniaturę Ender-3 S1 Pro”)
    7. Upewnij się, że szerokość x wysokość wynosi 300 pikseli i zamknij
    8. Pokrój i zapisz plik.

UtwórzEnder3S1ProThumbnail.zip 1,49 kB · 22 pobrania

In my case, the parameters are visible on the printer's display, but where the photo was supposed to be, there is a black background.

2 hours ago, sebastiankaczor said:

In my case, the parameters are visible on the printer's display, but where the photo was supposed to be, there is a black background.

By any chance are use using a material with a color defined as black? I got caught by that little for a bit. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:14 PM, sebastiankaczor said:

are you using any other post processor scripts? the line with ; jpg begin 300*300 needs to be at the top of the gcode file & some other scripts override my script. open the gcode file in notepad & check the  ;jpg begin 300*300 & jpg end are in there with the thumbnail code in-between 

Posted (edited) · No Thumbnail on creality 3 vs2

E3S1Pro - Creality FW, Cura 5.6 ... I had to restart Cura after adding the script - after step 7, before step 8.  Otherwise, I couldn't slice.

Edited by HATMAN60

5 hours ago, HATMAN60 said:

E3S1Pro - Creality FW, Cura 5.6 ... I had to restart Cura after adding the script - after step 7, before step 8.  Otherwise, I couldn't slice.

I think that may be more of a cura issue than the script. With the last couple of versions I've had situations where even the simplest of parts would slice then I'd make an insignificant parameter change & it wouldn't slice. The simplest fix for me was to either move the part on the build plate or move & re center & it slices fine the next time. 

Restarting cura & reloading the file as you did would solve it just takes a little longer 

Thanks a lot. This one does the job correctly !

For example, this one isn't functional for my Ender and Cura.
    https://github.com/mriscoc/Ender3V2S1/wiki/How-to-generate-a-gcode-preview

However the G code sounds good.

No problem @PatateFree glad to see its worked you.

If anyone is interested I've modified the script a little & it should now also add the print summary data to the thumbnail preview & display a status message when the gcode is saved.

I've tested it with a few users, hopefully it will work for you

CreateEnder3S1ProThumbnailV2.zip

I add a comment.
    Width and Height must be close to 300px (280 or 320 don't work)

1 hour ago, PatateFree said:

I add a comment.
    Width and Height must be close to 300px (280 or 320 don't work)

Yes the dimensions are very important for correct display of the thumbnail, which is why I put 300 x 300 as the default setting for the script

Still trying to get this to work. It works when slicing it to the Creality slicer but the Creality it's so glitchy... would love to use this on Cura. Any other solutions or newer file update for Cura 5.6.0

Thanks

LOL was trying Creality Print so I could see what the difference in the gcode files was, even it couldn't produce a valid thumbnail for my E3V3SE. Updated to latest version, saw "STL Thumbnail Generator" or something is one of the install options (so of course I selected it). Loaded a model and...

image.thumb.png.d83c4e5bbceec7bb065237827976573d.png

I swear to you I loaded that model.

image.png.89d78beaf9e5b7ae9a20fec0835283cb.png

I swear to you I loaded that model. Go to preview tab...

image.thumb.png.e6a8687120c9bfc125e01b5b354bfb86.png

See! I told you it was there! Why it appears to be on a significantly smaller build plate... that I don't know. I'd delete it, but... can't seem to select it on the preview tab and in the prepare tab I go Edit > Select All Models and it ain't there. Figured I'd try again, go to File > ...hang on, there isn't a "new project" option. None of these options will clear the build plate. Fine, close it, reopen it, add model...

image.thumb.png.536cf24a69a39a2bb6296454a3809a7d.png

At least it's actually there this time.

image.thumb.png.1dcc7ce721392ae442611997cfefdec1.png

And the build plate hasn't shrunk in the preview tab! Save gcode to SD card and...

image.thumb.png.5bad552d1146227863fb107d9368d50d.png

Why the hell is it that much bigger than the one from Cura which has a thumbnail generated by the script above (which doesn't work)?

Go stick it in the printer, and...

image.thumb.png.c2d210f89399137c10bd572b7b6449db.png

Nope, not even Creality Print is producing valid data for the thumbnail and print information.

Looking through the menus for extensions or thumbnail options, can't find them. Must be in print settings?

image.thumb.png.f559b0d5d90436ec88981b8a914c4988.png

Nope! How about printer settings?

image.thumb.png.d72f8e2c8283bbf784669f4a68ed51ca.png

No search. That's useful! Also, I can't but notice that even Creality don't set the head size correctly. This thing has a massive noggin! I measured it! And I got [[-40,20],[30,20],[30,-60],[-40,-60]]. Fine, turn on advanced mode, search through options...

image.thumb.png.9bf2ee8574f861cc4311abe6f32f7bda.png

What the hell, Creality? Not only are speeds like that irresponsible, this thing can't even move that fast. It can only go 250mm/s and accelerate at 4000mm/s². At least, I'm pretty sure that's how much it can accelerate. Creality's website says 5000. The manual says 2500. Running an M503 on the printer is where I'm getting my 4000 figure from. How does the startup gcode differ from the sequence I wrote for mine?

image.thumb.png.06833bdd3f6a54d90b1d9be5c4cf9ec8.png

It's not even setting the build plate temperature?!?!!?!!!?!?!!?!!!?!?!????

Let's double check that with the gcode it actually produced:

M140 S45
    M105
    M190 S45
    M104 S230
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    M220 S100 ;Reset Feedrate
    M221 S100 ;Reset Flowrate

G28 ;Home

G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up
    G1 X-2.1 Y20 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to start position
    M109 S230.000000
    G1 X-2.1 Y145.0 Z0.28 F1500.0 E15 ;Draw the first line
    G1 X-2.4 Y145.0 Z0.28 F5000.0 ;Move to side a little
    G1 X-2.4 Y20 Z0.28 F1500.0 E30 ;Draw the second line
    G92 E0  ;Reset Extruder
    G1 E-1.0000 F1800 ;Retract a bit
    G1 Z2.0 F3000 ;Move Z Axis up
    G1 E0.0000 F1800 

G92 E0
    G92 E0
    G1 F1800 E-1.2

WHY MUST THINGS CONTINUE TO USE M140, M105, M190? M105 DOESN'T DO ANYTHING IF YOU'RE PRINTING FROM SD! AND IF YOU'RE PRINTING OVER USB IT SENDS THE TEMPERATURE ONCE AND IT SENDS THE TEMPERATURE CONSTANTLY IN THE BACKGROUND ANYWAY!?!?!!?!?!!!!?!!?!?!???

But wait, I have it set to "Generic-PLA_1.75" and it wants to run the bed at 45 degrees and the hot end at 230!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!? The hottest I've ever printed PLA was 215. And even then the result was a little crispy.

Let's just make sure it's not some bug getting the values wrong:

image.thumb.png.19a622bb97daba9301f8165c8e5a8ea1.png

Nope, those really are the defaults. What happens if I set it to Creality brand PLA?

image.thumb.png.683f77a93f34853e7c900e187fc11cf6.png

Actually a bit conservative on temperature if you ask me.

Which leads me to the conclusion:

How the $#%^ do people use Creality Print? It doesn't even have an accurate definition for my printer and it wants to melt generic PLA in my hot end so I need to replace the assembly?!?!!??

AND it doesn't even produce valid thumbnails!

Conclusion: Use Cura. The only thing you're missing by sticking on this side of the fence is pain.

• Like 1

am so with you on Creality Print - Think most folks love it because it's the first thing they download after putting together their printer....

It really throws the start print experience off on the bed working with less real estate and if you slice the project and move the bed temperature to 205 it will stay locked in at that temp through out the whole print. 

Total opposite with Cura temps will go back to original temp and prints start further out on the board. 

Here is my gcode file that won't preview the thumbnail... Any solution? Thanks....

Your_fish.gcode

4 hours ago, flight-commander said:

am so with you on Creality Print - Think most folks love it because it's the first thing they download after putting together their printer....

It really throws the start print experience off on the bed working with less real estate and if you slice the project and move the bed temperature to 205 it will stay locked in at that temp through out the whole print. 

Total opposite with Cura temps will go back to original temp and prints start further out on the board. 

Here is my gcode file that won't preview the thumbnail... Any solution? Thanks....

Your_fish.gcode 214.33 kB · 1 download

The S1 Pro needs the Thumbnail code to be at the top of the gcode file or it won't work. It looks like you are using another script, which if it runs after my script can bump the thumbnail code further down in the file.

So when using more than one post processing script I find it is best if you have the is the S1 Thumbnail Generator as the last script in the list 

The Elegoo Neptune Thumbnails plugin you are using however is a separate plugin to the Post Processors & is running after the post processing scripts have run. I can't do anything about that & it looks like if you want to use the S1 Pro thumbnail script you will have to disable the Elegoo plugin

image.thumb.png.a0053db513671223516a111b8d141095.png

Edited by PartySausage
    • Heart 1

Thanks so much! it worked! And it's in color.... wow.. I just zipped the Elegoo plugin in the scripts folder.. Not sure where they are from. Guess it must of been part of the install.. Everything works great now though.. .. Thanks so much for your time and contribution in the 3D community.. 

thanks.png

FWIW, I'm not bothered too much if it doesn't work (my system of complicated filenames and folder organisation in OctoPrint works for me), but I tried running it as the only script on a slice my E3V3SE (which is a different beast, so I can't expect a guarantee it'll work) and it didn't work. But that means it worked as well as the file straight out of Creality Print.

Although looking through the gcode file Creality Print made, it does include this in the configuration settings listed at the top:

;Preview Img Type:png
    ;Screen Size:Sermoon D3

So maybe your script isn't for me if an E3V3SE expects a PNG. Not that there's a PNG encoded in the gcode from Creality Print. Still can't figure out how it's slicing it so badly to have such a difference in file size, although having 

;;retract move;;

before every retraction move can't help. Also instead of changing the feed rate to account for different acceleration amounts (like Cura does) this thing is littered with M204 and M205 (to change the jerk) lines.

Also something that stands out in the end gcode for the file I sliced in Creality Print:

M106 S0
    M106 P2 S0

THIS THING ONLY HAS ONE FAN!!!! And it never refers to a second fan anywhere else in the gcode.

Also it doesn't even appear in the end gcode in the printer settings:

image.thumb.png.74b6bcb87a0e2fc9b28acdcc05368a0d.png

I really gotta stop digging into Creality Print. I have enough health problems as it is. Although I have to wonder how anyone can use it for long enough to like using it, like the buttons at the bottom right of the slice preview screen:

image.png.39849143ead3dfdf994329664900d9cb.png

The big blue highlighted one? THE E3V3SE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ANY NETWORK CONNECTIONS!!!!

So im trying to figure out how to impliment a thumbnail using cura into my ender 3 v2 and have been trying to follow this conversation but having trouble understanding. could you explain to me how to create a thumbnail for my printer?

Edited by Mesaclimber7431

3 hours ago, Mesaclimber7431 said:

So im trying to figure out how to impliment a thumbnail using cura into my ender 3 v2 and have been trying to follow this conversation but having trouble understanding. could you explain to me how to create a thumbnail for my printer?

First, just an FYI: some of the conversation has to do with it not working for everyone so I can't promise this will work.

Grab the script from @PartySausage's earlier post, go into your configuration directory (in Cura go to Help > Show Configuration Folder) and put the .py file from the zip file inside the "scripts" folder inside the configuration directory.

Restart Cura, go to Extensions > Post Processing > Modify G-Code, click the "Add a script" button and find the correct one (I think it's called "Creality Ender-3 S1 Pro Thumbnail V2") and click on that to add it. The default options should work. Click "Close" in the bottom right of the post processing scripts window and slice as normal.

6 hours ago, Mesaclimber7431 said:

I modified an existing ender v2 script to work on the s1 pro so this may not work on the v2.

However I've credited the person who wrote the original script in the file header. if you open the file in notepad there's a url in the header to download the original v2 script so you could try that

The v2 in my filename is maybe a bit confusing as that just means it's version 2 of the script which also puts the print date in the preview 

Edited by PartySausage