Cura to Printer Networking Problems

kidsprintcoolstuff

Posted · Cura to Printer Networking Problems

I have an Elegoo Neptune 4 Max and it's connected to my network via wifi. It has an IP address. My Mabook Pro can see it as a connected IP in terminal. My router can see it in the control panel, but when I put that IP address into Cura, it cannot find the printer. 

It's super annoying because it should be able to see it. 

Is there possibly something in my mac that is preventing it from seeing the printer in the CURA app?

There's also software like OctoPrint that runs on a device which has a physical connection to the printer - many people (including myself) install it on a Raspberry Pi (it's a small single board computer which doesn't cost much) and connect that to the printer (my printer doesn't have any networking at all). But OctoPrint gives you a web browser user interface for controlling the printer from any device on your network. I find it really useful to leave the interface open on a tablet when I go downstairs during a long print and watch the webcam feed (not a camera built into the printer, just a standard USB webcam) so I can cancel it if things go awry.

• 4 months later...
    On 12/28/2023 at 8:08 PM, Dustin said:

IP connection is only supported with UltiMaker Branded 3d printers.
    Usually you must use a plugin of some sort to do this with 3rd party branded printers.

I got stuck on this as well. The option to "Add Printer by IP" shows up as the next screen after selecting "Non UltiMaker Printer" as the printer to set up. That flow is misleading, makes it seem like any networked printer can be added. The UI should probably suppress the networked option after selecting non-ultimaker.

6 hours ago, hydrophobicOtter said:

I got stuck on this as well. The option to "Add Printer by IP" shows up as the next screen after selecting "Non UltiMaker Printer" as the printer to set up. That flow is misleading, makes it seem like any networked printer can be added. The UI should probably suppress the networked option after selecting non-ultimaker.

You can submit a feature request if you'd like to see this behaviour changed. The devs don't spend much time on the forums so submitting it on GitHub is the best way to reach them.