Model seems different after slicing in a bad way.

virtuwill
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Model seems different after slicing in a bad way.

I laid out this tray in Sketchup.  The tray should have a radius around the outer top edge, be recessed in the middle, and have a radius between the outer edge and the middle for transition.

I haven't printed it yet, but it doesn't appear it will print with the recessed area in the middle if I print it the way it is now.  It looks in the preview like it will print the tray with a flat top.

Any idea what I am doing wrong...?

sliced, is preview.JPG

sliced, not preview.JPG

CFFFP_New tray11C.3mf

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Model seems different after slicing in a bad way.

SketchUp is notorious for producing models which can be messed up in so many ways it's not funny. Even if it's what you know... you should learn something else.

Anyway, if you're on Windows, open the file in Microsoft's "3D Builder" app (you might have to download it from the Microsoft store if you're running Windows 11 - and amazingly it's actually really useful) and load the model and it will come up with a message at the bottom right saying it's invalidly defined and offer to fix it for you, click that then save it.

image.thumb.png.586b41859223314ad7fda8e4b82b8d39.png

And because I'm in a good mood, I'll give you this one for free:

CFFFP_New tray11C_fixed.3mf

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

WoW!  I was planning on starting over!!!!  This is amazing.  I have been using Sketch-up for carpentry projects for years in the past, so just continued to use it when I started down the 3D Printing road.  What are some better alternatives to Sketch-Up for 3D printing, if you are allowed to list them here?

I don't mind learning something new.  It makes me feel young again!!!

Thanks again, your knowledge is a treasure!

9 hours ago, virtuwill said:

What are some better alternatives to Sketch-Up for 3D printing, if you are allowed to list them here?

FreeCAD is a good program, but to say it has a bit of a learning curve might be an understatement. Something a bit easier to start with might be Tinkercad, which I've never used but I've heard is great way to get started.

6 hours ago, Cuq said:

For this type of part :  FreeCad. I'm using the LinkStable release forked from FreeCAD/FreeCAD    https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/tree/LinkStable   to avoid the Topological naming problem still present in the regular release of FreeCad.

There's a fork of FreeCAD which fixes TNP and nobody on the FreeCAD forums thought to tell me when warning me about how almost everything I was doing in some things would cause problems with it?