New install, custom FFF Printer: Nozzle size are gone

CBX_Micha
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · New install, custom FFF Printer: Nozzle size are gone

Hello community,

I completely rebuilt an i3. In connection with another problem, I also completely reinstalled CURA. In this context, I chose a “custom FFF printer” because hardly any parameters match the original Geeetech i3pro, which served as the basis for the conversion.
I can now set the hotend temperature up to 300°C as desired, but what is no longer possible is selecting the nozzle size in the overview in the material drop-down.
I can change the nozzle size via "Manage Printer/my printer/Machine settings", but these changes are not taken into account in the profiles.
Previously, selecting the nozzle size was easy using the material dropdown...
I've already asked several people who are undoubtedly more familiar with CURA than I am, but they didn't know a solution either...
I had actually assumed that a CUSTOM would offer the user all the options available in CURA; otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

How can I reactivate this?

Greetz
Micha

Clipboarder.2024.01.16.jpg

The Custom FFF Printer doesn't have a nozzle size dropdown. Instead, you configure the nozzle size in Preferences -> Printers -> Machine Settings -> Extruder. It actually does give you more freedom than printers that have a dropdown for the nozzle size, since you can enter any size you want (instead of being limited to just a few).

Ok I understand that... Ty for the explanation
    But if I remember correctly (I would have to reinstall the old Geeetech to be sure), the nozzle setting had a direct influence on the chosen profile and adjusted some settings. That's not the case here anymore... Correct?

Or asked the other way around:
    Is there a way to restore the dropdown manually? I only use 4 different nozzle sizes, but mainly just two. So it was extremely practical and you couldn't forget it because it caught your eye when choosing the material...

• Solution

There's a way to manually add a nozzle size dropdown, but you'll need to make a custom definition file for your printer and put it in the Cura configuration folder (rather than just a machine instance, which is probably what you have). I don't know if custom FFF printer just uses fdmprinter.def.json as a base or what (in which case you'd probably need to create a definition that inherits from it).

But the important parts are, in the "metadata" section of the definition:

"has_variants": true,
    "preferred_variant_name": "0.4mm Nozzle",
    "variants_name": "Nozzle Size",

Then in the variants subfolder of the configuration you need a bunch of files like this:

[general]
    definition = creality_ender3v3se
    name = 0.4mm Nozzle
    version = 4

[metadata]
    hardware_type = nozzle
    setting_version = 22
    type = variant

[values]
    machine_nozzle_size = 0.4

Obviously that's for an Ender-3 V3 SE. I don't know if it's important to get the filenames right (it's definitely right important to get the definition value right, matching the filename of your machine definition (which is why you shouldn't just change fdmprinter.def.json), but for what it's worth, that's creality_ender3v3se_0.4.inst.cfg

Ohh... That's strong tobacco for someone like me who knows nothing about programming.
    I'll try to read into it. It can't go any further than wrong ;)

Thank you for that information...

39 minutes ago, CBX_Micha said:

Ohh... That's strong tobacco for someone like me who knows nothing about programming.
    I'll try to read into it. It can't go any further than wrong 😉

Thank you for that information...

If I want to get technical (and when don't I?) it's not programming, just messing with configuration files.

One question I always forget to ask because I don't have this thing I'd like to have: is it single or dual (or, well really anything more than 1) extruder? By default the nozzle size is managed by extruder for multi-extruder printers. I think you can still set up a nozzle size dropdown for multiple extruder printers, but you need to set variants for each extruder, rather than for the machine as a whole (which just involves editing different configuration files!).

If you want, because I rarely have anything better to do, if you make a zip file of your Cura configuration folder and post it here (or message it to me if you want, sometimes people don't like sending their secrets to the whole world) I could have a look and see if I can help.

... that "ugly monster" only have one extruder. I also only use four different nozzle sizes. But I sometimes forget (jeahjeah... I love Alzheimer... What's Alzheimer? Do I know you? LOL) I change the nozzle but forget to change it also in Cura... So a Dropdown catch my eyes while pick the material is a very good hint (for me...).

28 minutes ago, CBX_Micha said:

(jeahjeah... I love Alzheimer... What's Alzheimer? Do I know you? LOL)

Do I know you? I'm not sure, I think I have face blindness but I'm not sure if I've ever seen the same person twice to ask them. (Seriously though, I don't think there's a formal test but considering I can generally only pick someone I was with ten minutes ago out of a group of people is by the clothes.) Not uncommon among people with some of my other conditions (very few people who try and start a contest of "my conditions" come close to winning).

Maybe you just need to duplicate the default material files and just change them from "Generic" to "CHECK YOUR NOZZLE SIZE, DUMMY!"

Just now, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Do I know you? I'm not sure, I think I have face blindness but I'm not sure if I've ever seen the same person twice to ask them.

LOL It was not meant like that. We definitely don't know each other personally...
    We have a joke here about Alzheimer's:
    Doctor to patient:
    I have good and bad news for you:
    - The bad news: you have Alzheimer
    - The good news: When you walk out the door, you have just forget it ..

So I'm over 60 and time by time I forget more and more and need some trigger to remember things...

6 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Maybe you just need to duplicate the default material files and just change them from "Generic" to "CHECK YOUR NOZZLE SIZE, DUMMY!"

🤣