Cura 14.03 skirt problem

alan89

Posted · Cura 14.03 skirt problem

Hi,

in the new Cura 14.03 skirt option doesn't work. I' ve tried with different files but skirt seem to function only with support option active. Is it a bug?

Yes, line count 2, start distance 2, minimal length 50 but it doesn't work. It seems to ignore also initial layer thickness value :mad: . I'll try to reinstall Cura.

Do you have, by any change, the initial layer thickness set smaller then the normal layer thickness?

initial layer thickness 0.1

Layer hight :0.25

Yes

as in the previouse versions

When both set to 0,25 the Skirt is there

Windows 7 64bit, Ultimaker Original. I've 0.15mm initial layer thickness and 0.3mm layer heigth.

Using a initial layer thickness of half or less then the layer height will cause the first layer to lay outside of the model and not generate GCode for that layer. Which also causes the skirt to go missing.

See: https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/issues/69

This worked before due to a bug that caused the actual print to be slightly higher then intended. When I fixed that bug, this new one is being pushed forward.

I still want to ask.... WHY? For me it feels really odd to have a thin first layer and thicker layers after that...

Thanks for the reply daid, I print big objects in ABS and if layer heigth is over 0.3mm it tends to warp. With initial layer thickness setted to 0.15mm it sticks better to bed and the bottom finish is like glass.

I still want to ask.... WHY? For me it feels really odd to have a thin first layer and thicker layers after that...

I dunno, just remove the option!! no complains of missing skirts.!

* don't kno why to complain about a missing SKIRT, nothing wrong with nice buttocks

Thanks for the reply daid, I print big objects in ABS and if layer heigth is over 0.3mm it tends to warp. With initial layer thickness setted to 0.15mm it sticks better to bed and the bottom finish is like glass.

Ok, I'll work on a fix. A workaround should be to set the initial layer-height of 0.16

Thanks daid !!! Good job ;)

Hi Daid

Many thanks for the explanation. This solved my problem. I have just set the "initial layer thickness" to 0 (i.e. the initial layer will print the same height as the set layer thickness).

I had the same problem and was wondering why the skirt showed up with specific layer heights and with others not.

Thanks and regards,

Jochen

Using a initial layer thickness of half or less then the layer height will cause the first layer to lay outside of the model and not generate GCode for that layer. Which also causes the skirt to go missing.

See: https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/issues/69

I have this very same problem on my Rostock Max v2 but I'm unable to fix it. My printer just refuses to lay down a skirt before my print starts. It's like my extruder is starving for filament. Right now I have to play games with it if I want to use Cura (which I really like Cura by the way). Basically I run my skirt about 20mm outside of my part and run about 6 or 7 paths. By the time it finishes the skirt I've just barely squeaked out some filament and my print begins. This behavior doesn't happen if I use Simply3D, Slic3r, or MatterControl's Cura engine. It has me baffled. Once the actual print begins I get wonderful results. This issue is the only thing keeping me from running Cura on a regular basis.

I have this very same problem on my Rostock Max v2 but I'm unable to fix it. My printer just refuses to lay down a skirt before my print starts. It's like my extruder is starving for filament. Right now I have to play games with it if I want to use Cura (which I really like Cura by the way). Basically I run my skirt about 20mm outside of my part and run about 6 or 7 paths. By the time it finishes the skirt I've just barely squeaked out some filament and my print begins. This behavior doesn't happen if I use Simply3D, Slic3r, or MatterControl's Cura engine. It has me baffled. Once the actual print begins I get wonderful results. This issue is the only thing keeping me from running Cura on a regular basis.

You should check the start code vs the start code of the other tools.

Thanks for the reply, Daid.

My starting and ending gcode is identical on all slicers that I've tried. Here's what I have in Cura right now.

Starting:

;Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
    ;Basic settings: Layer height: {layer_height} Walls: {wall_thickness} Fill: {fill_density}
    ;Print time: {print_time}
    ;Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
    ;Filament cost: {filament_cost}
    ;M190 S{print_bed_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line
    ;M109 S{print_temperature} ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line
    ;G21 ;metric values
    ;G90 ;absolute positioning
    ;M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    ;M107 ;start with the fan off
    ;G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
    ;G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops
    ;G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    ;G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    ;G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    ;G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    ;G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    ;M117 Printing...
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    G28 ; home all axes
    ; ***start of purge line***
    ;M320 acceleration enabled for all commands that follow (DISABLED TEMPORARILY)
    ;M201 X850 Y850 Z200 E10000; limit acceleration (ENABLED TEMPORARILY)
    G1 Z0.2 F6000.000; move to first layer height
    G1 X90 Y-90 F10000.000; move to front of build plate
    G1 X-90 Y-90 E24 F1000.000; extrude a purge line on the build plate
    G4 P2000; wait for ooze to slow
    G1 Z0.0 F6000.000; lower nozzle height to bed
    G1 X-90; wipe nozzle
    G1 Z0.2 F6000.000; move to first layer height
    G1 F10000; ensure fast travel to first print move
    ; *** end of purge line***

Ending:

;End GCode
    ;M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
    ;M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
    ;G91 ;relative positioning
    ;G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
    ;G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{travel_speed} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
    ;G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way
    ;M84 ;steppers off
    ;G90 ;absolute positioning
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;####Rostock Max####
    M104 S0 ; turn off temperature
    M140 S0
    G28 ; home X axis
    M84 ; disable motors
    M106 S0; turn off cooling fan if on (M106 S255 = 100% on)

You'll notice from the starting gcode that I try to run an "anchor" line across my plate to help purge filament before I run the skirt and then my part. I understand it isn't necessary but it's a little extra purge.

After the purge you do not set the E value back to 0 (G92 E0), that's most likely what's causing your problems.

Daid,

You, sir, are brilliant! The G92 E0 worked like a charm. BIG BIG thanks! Problem solved. :)