Filament issue?

Posted (edited) · Filament issue?

Hi,

I am new to 3d printing and am trying to print with a transparent PLA filament. I am using a FL Sun SR printer. I want to print a single wall model with a large nozzle and quite hight layer height.

I have tried different things to fix the issue. I have changed the nozzle temp, speed, bed-leveling but nothing seems to fix this issue with filament looking strange mid print and not connecting the same way all through the print.

I use theese Cura-settings:

Nozzle: 1.0mm

Layer height: 0.64mm

Line width: 1.2mm

Wall thickness: 1.2 mm

Speed: 30mm/s

Bottom thickness: 2 layers, 1.28mm

Infill: 0

Print temp: 232 C

Retraction: 6.5 mm

What could be the issue here?

Issue 

Edited by Theo123

Posted · Filament issue?
    11 hours ago, Theo123 said:

I use theese Cura-settings:

Nozzle: 1.0mm
    Layer height: 0.64mm
    Line width: 1.2mm
    Wall thickness: 1.2 mm
    Speed: 30mm/s
    Bottom thickness: 2 layers, 1.28mm
    Infill: 0
    Print temp: 232 C
    Retraction: 6.5 mm

What could be the issue here?

• Is that the right temperature? I've never tried transparent PLA but I've also never had to run any PLA I have used over 215°.
    • 1.2mm line width at 0.64mm height is asking a bit, even of a 1mm nozzle (and maybe even the extruder). What printer do you have? It's a good thing you're going slowly though.
    • Have you tried using spiralise? It's in Special Modes > Spiralize Outer Contour and pretty much literally what this thing is designed for if you're only doing one wall with no infill. It just goes up in circles, so there's no Z seam, and it never has to retract (which might explain some of the stringing in the second photo).
    • Remember if you have just a single wall there's nowhere for anything to hide if it doesn't come out right.
    • Retraction can be different depending on printer and especially extruder type... so again, what printer do you have?

My advice would be:

• Z offset/bed levelling: this is going to require a pretty much perfectly level bed and you need to get the Z offset basically perfect. If it's a smidge too high your layers won't adhere (which is what the first photo shows) and a smidge too low it won't come out at the layer height you want because it'll be sorta pushed down by the nozzle. If you changed to the 1mm nozzle from something else, you definitely need to do the Z offset, because it might not be exactly the same length or screwed in exactly as far.
    • Make sure your Z axis is at the correct tension. If it uses a screw to go up and down it's hard for it to get too far off, but try turning off your printer and rotating the screw by hand: it shouldn't put up too much resistance, and it shouldn't be even a teensy bit loose.
    • Reduce acceleration and jerk: this is a print which is constantly going around corners, which because of how the printer moves the nozzle means it might have to speed up/slow down a lot. The settings are Speed > Enable Acceleration Control and Speed > Enable Jerk Control. These will both bring up a bunch more settings.
      • For acceleration you only really need to worry about the top setting, which will control the others with it. My printer can accelerate at up to 4000mm/s², but that's so quick it actually pulls parts of the model with it. I'm not sure what it'll be for your printer, but since it's not going to be doing too many long straights you can turn this down. If I wanted to be extra careful for a test I might even go down as low as 100mm/s².
      • For jerk again the top setting will control the rest. This controls how much the speed can instantly change as it goes around a corner (and unlike acceleration, you can go too low). Too high and it can cause vibrations which could move the print even the teeniest bit, especially as you get higher, when you have no infill to keep it steady, which means you might not exactly follow the previous layer (and since it's such a small target, it definitely won't adhere properly). Too low and it'll go too slow around corners and leave a bit of a blob (especially if you have a Bowden extruder, which just can't account for the changes in extrusion speed quickly enough). If I was being overly cautious I'd probably try about a quarter of the default. If that leaves blobs on the corners, bump it up to half of the default.

Posted · Filament issue?

HI @Slashee_the_Cow, thank you for answering. 

The printer i use is a FL Sun Superracer. 

I put another photo in the post to clarify. There is an inner wall and an outer wall in the design. But both of them are printed with 1 line of 1.2mm. Just so you get the correct information. 

Great input. Do you have any more input when i shared you this information?

Br,