Printer randomly shutting off during a print

Posted · Printer randomly shutting off during a print

Hi All,

(I hope this is the right place to put my question in)

I have a Libre Le Potato SBC running OctoPrint on my Ender 3 Pro 3D printer.

After not using the printer for a month or 2 I started using it again 2 weeks ago. Now I have the issue that the printer randomly reboots during a print, this didn't happen ever before the last two weeks.

I have put a 4700 pF elco between the power supply and the mainboard. But this seems to be symptom management and I don't like that (and I don't even know if this solves the issure and/or introduces new issues)

What I noticed is that when I shut off the printer but not the SBC the SBC still powers the mainboard of the printer. Very weakly but still.

Could there be an issue caused by the fact that the mainboard is now powered by the printer's own power supply AND the SBC?

If so, the question is:

Is there a way to shut down the power to the 4 USB ports on the SBC? Either in Raspian or OctoPrint?

(So not the USB power to power the SBC itself but the power to the SBC's peripherals)

Otherwise I need to perform surgery on the USB cable between the SBC and the printer's mainboard by cutting the plus wire in it.

Thanks,

Leo

It's possible that it's a problem caused by too much power to the motherboard (there's a lot of things possible when your rig gets this complex) and it trips something. As for turning off the power to the USB ports: I don't know, I've never had the need to on either of my RPis (and then I wouldn't be powering OctoPrint's webcam). Often these things are controlled by a computer's BIOS but very rarely have I seen the option to disable power to USB ports.

You're much better off asking about this in a forum or whatever for your SBC, or for Raspbian or OctoPrint than you are here. It's definitely not a problem with Cura.

• Like 1

Moved the thread because this has nothing to do with Cura.. 

I will note on a personal note.
    This does not represent views by UltiMaker

I have in my personal ventures found the Le Potato to extremely unreliable and had some of the same issues you have had. I would recommend finding a different 3rd party option if a genuine Raspberry is out of your budget. I have had significantly better experience with the OrangePi and BigTreeTech options.

Posted (edited) · Printer randomly shutting off during a print

Hi,

For those interested, I have heated the attic with a small electrical heater prior to printing and now it seems to be fine again.

What I did:

- cut the plus wire in the USB cable

- mounted the PSU from my other Ender

- put an ELCO between the PSU and mainboard

- removed the SD-card (bco Le Potato)

- checked the tightening of the screws on the mainboard

- changed the extension cord to the printer

All didn't help

- heated the attic

EDIT: still crashed

Edited by Mechatron127