Posted · Weird porous wall defects on 3D prints

Hello,

My 3D prints have been having this weird sort of wavy porosity in the walls as I've shown in the images. 

I'm fairly new to 3D printing, spent about 2 months at the moment. I've done my fair share of research on the various slicer settings and tweaking them. But nothing I do makes the walls better. I couldn't find anything online party because I don't know what these are called and what to search for.

At this point any help us appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20240205_190753849.jpg

IMG_20240205_190734639.jpg

IMG_20240205_190745034.jpg

IMG_20240205_190652697.jpg

That looks like some pretty bad underextrusion from here - if you can post the Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura get it ready to print then go to File > Save Project) we can see if there's any setting changes that might help but you may also have to look at the printer.

Posted (edited) · Weird porous wall defects on 3D prints

Hello @Slashee_the_Cow, thanks for your response. Here is a sample .3mf. Also when you say:

but you may also have to look at the printer.

What exactly should I be looking at/for? My printer is an Ender 3 v3 SE and it's fairly new, only a month old.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this sort of a defect so far has only been occurring near holes in the print or discontinuities in the print. Most of the rest of the print comes out perfect.

BR,
    Arth

CE3V3SE_Inner_Module.3mf

Edited by Arthpatel9497

Sorry to keep you waiting - cows can be busier (or more distracted, or in this case both) than you'd think. Turns out that munching grass all day doesn't make you good at dealing with things from other plants, like woodworking.

The first settings one looks at when trying to diagnose an issue like this is retraction. Thanks to sample variation it can vary a bit from printer to printer but if you're printing with PLA I'd suggest lowering the retraction (for my E3V3SE I use 0.8mm distance, 40mm/s speed). If it's been retracted too far it can take too long to reach the nozzle when it starts printing again.

I'd also seriously suggest lowering the speed - Creality brag about how fast this thing is (well they did until the E3V3KE came out, anyway) but most filament isn't designed to be printed anywhere near as fast as this thing is by default. Regular (not "high speed") PLA is much happier at about 60mm/s (roughly), so if you set Speed > Print Speed to 120mm/s it'll do infill that fast (where it's not as important how it comes out) but everything else at half that (i.e. 60mm/s). It also gives retracted filament more time to get to the nozzle.

I'd also turn on Speed > Enable Acceleration Control and set it to about 2500mm/s², tops (maybe even 1000 if you're really having problems, but I use a custom definition which sets it to 2500 unless you override it). The default profile sets its max acceleration to 5000mm/s² which I'm not sure if the printer can even do (Creality's website says 5000mm/s², the manual says 2500mm/s² and the output from the M503 command on the printer itself says 4000mm/s²), but however fast it can go, without slowing it down (either in the print settings or in my definition file), the first few prints I did, it accelerated so fast on travel moves immediately after an extrusion it actually pulled the filament with it and stretched the model. Lowering the acceleration rate also gives it more time to prime the nozzle after a retraction.

And if you make these changes and are dismayed by how much the estimated print time goes up, just remember... it's better to have a slow print than a bad print.