Can I pause on chosen layer to change colour?

Cargoon
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Can I pause on chosen layer to change colour?

I use TinkerCad to create, Cura to slice and Ender 3 with upgrades to print.

i have been looking through the Cura options and setting to find a way to automatically pause printing at a selected layer to change the colour on the printer. otherwise i have to sit with a ruler and hangout with the printer all day.

If anyone knows of this otption in Cura please let me know or i will just have to brew a pot of coffee  and set it up beside me in front of the tv. 

Thanks Everyone

Morgan

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Can I pause on chosen layer to change colour?

It's easy! Just go to Extensions > Post Processing > Modify G-Code. Then click the Add a script button and choose Pause at height. Set the top box to Layer Number, enter the layer number. The exact settings for some of the options depend on your printer, but here's what I use on my Ender-3 V3 SE:

image.thumb.png.25cd997b00da6e9a1f6ada0f2153ccff.png

Method: Depends on your printer and what g-code flavour it uses. You should be able to look that up in your printer's settings in Cura if you're not sure

Keep motors engaged: In an ideal world, this would be an easy yes, but there are a lot of printers that don't respond to that command. The motors being "engaged" means they're on and holding the head in position. If they disengage, they'll have to home again on the relevant axes, and some printers (like the Ender series) use cheap mechanical switches for the printer to detect how far it can travel in certain directions, which don't always activate at exactly the same place, so if they have to home again you might get some layer shift (it prints slightly out of alignment with the layers below).

Disarm timeout: If you have a printer which can't (or obstinately won't) keep the motors engaged indefinitely (like mine) this sets how long until they disengage. The maximum time depends on your printer, but I'd hope almost any printer would accept at least 3600 seconds (an hour) at least.

Park Print: Moves the print head (and/or bed) to certain coordinates so you can access it easily. The X and Y coordinates I have on make it go all the way to the left and push the bed all the way back.

Retraction: Really only something you need to worry about if you're using a stringy filament like PETG or TPU that you don't want to drip.

Extrude Amount: Depending on how you're changing filament you might have to turn this on to get the new filament going. I don't worry about that and just manually purge the system - hold down the lever, pull the old filament out, push the new one in, force it down until the nozzle starts drooling the correct colour, release lever, clean up drool.

Use M109 for standby temperature? If you're changing filament, you want this unchecked. Using M104 instead will make sure it stays hot.

Standby Temperature: Whatever temperature you're printing at, you want it to stay at that temperature so the new filament will bond properly with the previous layers.

You can use as many instances of the script as you want for all your colour changes, just click Add a script and choose Pause at height again. My record is eight changes.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

Posted · Can I pause on chosen layer to change colour?

Thank you. I set it up the way you suggested and it was waiting for me when i checked on it! I changed the color and wasn't sure how to get it going again. I highlighted "TUNE", clicked it and it started right up! the only issue i had was the new color didn't adhere to the parent layer. I turned up the nozzle heat 10 degrees and lowered the nozzle .1 and it started to stick.

thanks for the quick and easy to follow instructions! my record is 3 changes (if it works)😁