Problem after uninstalling Cura 4

AKopytenko

Posted (edited) · Problem after uninstalling Cura 4

Hi all.

New versions of Cura are installed not to replace old ones, but as new programs.

When Cura 5 was released, I decided to remove all the old versions, after which I downloaded the distribution of the new one and installed it.

As a result, Cura 5 did not appear in the list of programs with which you can open STL files.

However, some “garbage” remains in the system (links to old versions of Cura, the files of which no longer exist in the system).

I started a thread on the Windows support forum, but a community moderator suggested that the problem was solely on the software manufacturer's side:

https://answers.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/forum/all/problem-after-uninstalling-software/4de84ec8-7814-40b1-8c28-a0e5289d1ada

So, instead of just clicking on the STL file, I now have to first launch Cura using the shortcut and then select the file to open. It is very uncomfortable.

Please tell me how I can correct the situation?

Edited by AKopytenko

Posted · Problem after uninstalling Cura 4

One way is Right-Click a .stl file, choose [Open with] and select [Choose Other App] and find the actual Cura version. There you can usually mark the selected program as standard app.

If you need to get rid of left over remnants, then I would use one of my favourite programs, Bulk Crap Uninstaller. Essential whenever you buy a new computer. But as well as its ability to uninstall programs en masse without user input, it's great at finding leftovers. You may have to reinstall a 4.x version to get it to look for leftovers from that era when you subsequently uninstall it.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:00 PM, DivingDuck said:

One way is Right-Click a .stl file, choose [Open with] and select [Choose Other App] and find the actual Cura version. There you can usually mark the selected program as standard app.

No, it doesn't work. In my first message I left a link to the Microsoft user support forum, where I showed screenshots of this option 🙂

Tell me, why is Cura not updated at all, but simply a new version installed while keeping the old one? Maybe add a choice for the user in the installer? Should I keep the old version and install the new one or install the new one to replace the old one? Maybe we can create an issue in the Cura repository on GitHub?

On 2/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

If you need to get rid of left over remnants, then I would use one of my favourite programs, Bulk Crap Uninstaller. Essential whenever you buy a new computer. But as well as its ability to uninstall programs en masse without user input, it's great at finding leftovers. You may have to reinstall a 4.x version to get it to look for leftovers from that era when you subsequently uninstall it.

Ok, I understand that I can try to solve the problem by installing different software to clean the registry. But it seems to me that this will only solve the consequence of the problem, and not the cause of its occurrence.

Edited by AKopytenko

2 minutes ago, AKopytenko said:

Ok, I understand that you can try to solve the problem by installing different software to clean the registry. But it seems to me that this will only solve the consequence of the problem, and not the cause of its occurrence.

I didn't go two years of high school and no university education short of becoming a doctor to know that you're supposed to treat the cause, not the symptoms. But in this case the cause is ephemeral and there's nothing you can do about it. The symptoms are what you can treat.

44 minutes ago, AKopytenko said:

Tell me, why is Cura not updated at all, but simply a new version installed while keeping the old one? Maybe add a choice for the user in the installer? Should I keep the old version and install the new one or install the new one to replace the old one? Maybe we can create an issue in the Cura repository on GitHub?

I'm not from Ultimaker, just a normal user that uses Cura since quite some years 😉

Anyway I guess as well that there is an issue with the registry that I do not see on my installations (actually 4 different versions on this PC). You can go throe all entries and check where the problem is but I think it is easier to use one of the registry scanner/cleaner for this kind of job.

This is all what I can suggest.

Edit:

(forgot the answer of one of your questions):

Regarding how the updates are done, here are not only users that uses the latest versions. That is for a good reason. Having the versions installed in parallel give the ability to use a once made good tuned configuration for models all the time again if needed and have no to mess up with new versions where everything change with each update. So you can see that there is maybe a reason why one like the way how this works actual. Not saying that I'm always happy with this solution, but still with all these update surprises with each new version I'm mostly happy to have this "fallback" if we want to say it that way.

Edited by DivingDuck

39 minutes ago, AKopytenko said:

For some of us forum regulars it's handy being able to have multiple versions installed to replicate problems people are having in specific versions. In some cases there's also people who'd prefer to use a slightly older version to slice something because they don't like a change in the slicer's behaviour made in a certain version.

Although I can certainly see how it might be a bit confusing for a lot of people. You can submit a feature request here.

https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337567843
    This article might provide some help as well. 

Additionally I recall there being a specific release of 5.x that did have a broken installer and had issues un-installing.
    This might be related to that.

I think it was release 5.1.0 or 5.1.1 - The release notes for 5.2 release notes it as being fixed.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:52 PM, Dustin said:

https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337567843
    This article might provide some help as well. 

Additionally I recall there being a specific release of 5.x that did have a broken installer and had issues un-installing.
    This might be related to that.

I think it was release 5.1.0 or 5.1.1 - The release notes for 5.2 release notes it as being fixed.

I installed the latest stable version of Cura 5.6 from the official website. After installation nothing changed. Windows still cannot open the application when clicking on STL files. 

Okay, this has been going on for a very long time. I didn’t know that this could be such a serious problem for Ultimaker programmers 🙂 Ok, thanks everyone for your participation, I’ll look for an alternative to Cura...

Not sure what you mean "going on for a very long time" there was only 1 or 2 release versions with the uninstaller issue that I aware of and those releases were from around 2 years ago.