Cura 5.6.0 and Elegoo Cura 5.6.0 don't work together

lomplanshet

Posted · Cura 5.6.0 and Elegoo Cura 5.6.0 don't work together

I have several printers with Marlin firmware on Cura 5.6.0 and one printer with  Klipper firmware - Elegoo Neptune 4 pro on Elegoo Cura 5.6.0. I can't use these two versions Cura together. When I run any of the versions, I see a configuration error and a requirement to reset the settings. I have to choose and configure my printers every time I launch any version Cura. Perhaps I could solve the problem by creating two accounts for each version of Cura. But the interface Cura does not allow you to select an account, only log in or log out of the account. What should I do? 

Screenshot_1.png

Official line: this is the UltiMaker Cura forum, not the Elegoo Cura forum, so we don't support that

Unofficial line: It sounds like they're both using the same configuration folder (bad Elegoo Cura). Go to the Cura configuration folder, on Windows it's %APPDATA%\cura\ and there should be a folder for each version number. Try, for example, setting up Elegoo Cura, then when you're done, close it and rename the "5.6" folder to something like "5.6-elegoo". Open regular Cura, set that up, close it and rename the new "5.6" folder to something like "5.6-um".

Now test it: rename "5.6-elegoo" back to "5.6" and run Elegoo Cura. If that loads your configuration, then now all you need to do is rename the folders whenever you switch between them. Hassle? Yes. I use two config folders and I'm just using regular Cura, one for when I'm testing files for people on the forums and one for when I'm doing stuff for myself, so it doesn't get clogged up with a dozen different printers I don't even have with half the quality profile settings overridden.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Unofficial line: It sounds like they're both using the same configuration folder (bad Elegoo Cura). 

It's working. Thanks!

I'm too lazy to rename directories every time I start. So I did this. Launched Elegoo Cura, configure my printer, close Elegoo Cura, renamed the folder 5.6 to Elegoo.  Deleted the directory 5.6, launched Cura, configure my printers, close Cura,  renamed the folder 5.6 to GT. Created a new file in notepad:

cd %APPDATA%\cura\
    rd 5.6 /s /q
    md 5.6
    xcopy elegoo 5.6 /s /e
    cd \
    cd Program Files (x86)
    cd ELEGOO Cura 5.6.0
    UltiMaker-Cura.exe

Save as Elegoo.bat for Elegoo Cura, and create 

cd %APPDATA%\cura\
    rd 5.6 /s /q
    md 5.6
    xcopy GT 5.6 /s /e
    cd \
    cd Program Files
    cd UltiMaker Cura 5.6.0
    UltiMaker-Cura.exe

Save as Cura.bat for Cura. Make shortcuts to these bat-files on Desktop. Enjoy ))

• Like 1

Someone less lazy than me. I just created batch files that rename the config folders and launch Cura myself.

For what it's worth, you can replace the long cd chains with a single

cd "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.6.0\"

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:58 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Unofficial line: It sounds like they're both using the same configuration folder (bad Elegoo Cura).

Very bad Elegoo Cura 😞