Cura (many versions) crashes on open. Loads, opens white UI, then closes.

Posted · Cura (many versions) crashes on open. Loads, opens white UI, then closes.

Hi there, just yesterday I sliced a file and printed. Today, cura will not start properly, as mentioned above.

It opens, loads with the blue window, then closes that window.

It then opens the UI, but only a white window.

Closes without notice.

I have tried cura 5.4, 5.6, 4.12, fresh installs of all, cleaning cura from my system entirely (roaming, program files, temp), and fresh install from their site each time. No luck.

I have also not made any changes to anything on my system since yesterday, such as an update from windows. Have also ran in administrator and offline. I have no linked network drives.

I am using a laptop, windows 10 64bit, 8gb ram, NVIDIA graphics card, ryzen 5 cpu

Cura.log file attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated in this frustrating matter!

cura.log

Posted · Cura (many versions) crashes on open. Loads, opens white UI, then closes.

There's nothing really obvious in the log, so cue standard troubleshooting procedure:

Try renaming (in case it doesn't work) your entire Cura configuration folder. With Cura closed, open %APPDATA%\ and rename the "Cura" folder to something like "_Cura". This will force Cura to generate an entirely new configuration folder, so if the problem is anywhere in there... you get the idea.

It doesn't delete its configuration folder when you uninstall it and new versions copy configurations from previous versions, so without getting rid of (or in this case just hiding it from Cura) the configuration folder it never completely resets.

Posted (edited) · Cura (many versions) crashes on open. Loads, opens white UI, then closes.

Um so I also accidentally clicked solution on my previous post, but it is not.... is there any way to clear that?

Edit: figured it out.

Edited by AdustVenus4019

So the error log shows that it's most likely the built in plugin for USB printing or the one for removable storage devices - do you have your printer connected to your computer, or do you have any removable drives (thumb drives, external hard drives, memory cards, etc.) attached?

(And if the answer to one of those is "yes", try disconnecting it)

4 minutes ago, AdustVenus4019 said:

Um so I also accidentally clicked solution on my previous post, but it is not.... is there any way to clear that?

Edit: figured it out.

They finally fixed that did they? Used to be you had to get a mod to unmark the solution.

Posted (edited) · Cura (many versions) crashes on open. Loads, opens white UI, then closes.

Only thing connected is a USB Mouse, unplugged it just in case, and no luck. Tried removing the cura folder again as well to try that.

And yea i found the 'unmark as solution' shortly after I posted that lol

Edited by AdustVenus4019

Okay, this is getting above my pay grade (which is surprisingly high considering I get paid nothing). You might want to go file a bug report, but keep an eye out here in case someone with a more inspired problem solving ability (or @Dustin) pops in.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    fixed typo
    • Like 1

You have a laptop with an nvidia GPU. Does it also have an integrated GPU? Intel laptop processors normally do, but I am not sure about Ryzen. If so, could you try forcing Cura to use either one of them. It could be that Cura is running into issues with the GPU that it gets automatically assigned, but not when you specify ether one of the GPUs.

How would I go about specifying my GPU? I am pretty sure I have both.

Another interesting thing to note is that I use Ubuntu on the same computer via external drive, and when using Cura in Ubuntu it works great. I have used my computer like this for about a year now and no issues with Cura btw. 

I am mentioning this as it may be a hint towards a solution? Swapping from Windows to Linux may cause an issue, but it has been running fine for the year or so that I have been swapping, so I do not think it is the problem. 

TLDR; I can use Cura in Ubuntu just fine, same machine.

1 hour ago, AdustVenus4019 said:

How would I go about specifying my GPU? I am pretty sure I have both.

See this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to-choose-which-gpu-a-game-uses-on-windows-10/

9 hours ago, AdustVenus4019 said:

Another interesting thing to note is that I use Ubuntu on the same computer via external drive, and when using Cura in Ubuntu it works great. I have used my computer like this for about a year now and no issues with Cura btw. 

I am mentioning this as it may be a hint towards a solution? Swapping from Windows to Linux may cause an issue, but it has been running fine for the year or so that I have been swapping, so I do not think it is the problem. 

Nvidia's Linux drivers aren't that great (if you're running the proprietary ones, anyway, and the open source ones are missing a lot of capabilities so I don't know what they'd do) and I don't think they support switching between integrated and dedicated graphics.

Though the last time I had a laptop with a discrete GPU, it had a GT 555M (to give you an idea of how old it is), so I can't really speak to how much Nvidia's drivers' laptop support has changed in the meantime, just that they continue to suck even on desktop.