Flow % display

Pridanc
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Flow % display

Folks,

As an education to me, do y'all know if a simple printer like the Ender 3 V2 will display the current flow as requested by CURA or ?   I ran some tests to see what flow appears to print best on my machine using PP which was 120%.  (this is obviously 20% more than what was standard at the start of the test.)

Because of the test, I now have Flow set at 120% when sliced in CURA for the print I'm doing now. (Material-Flow-120%) 

What I am wondering is this: If CURA calls for 120%, would the printer's little display show 120% (where it shows E in the picture below) or does the printer accept that the 120% that what CURA is calling for is "full flow" or 100%?   Thus I don't see 120% unless I make on-the-fly changes through the screen to another number?  

Does anyone know that how I'm seeing it is right or should I stop that thinking and go have more coffee?  Just curious not to mention I've not looked at the G-Code to even see if the flow has been adjusted/set by CURA during the slice.  OK, I'm baby stepping. 

TY in advance for the enlightenment.  PDC

Flowing.png

Posted · Flow % display

OK, and please understand that although I can open a g-code file and even change a few settings successfully, when I went to look for the Marlin flow setting of M221 in the g-code, there was no M221 anywhere.

However in the jumble of words there was this at the end of the code.  Clearly states that flow is 120 but how does the machine know?   I'm guessing by some other set of words code in the file?

SETTING_3 infill_sparse_density = 10\\nmaterial_flow = 120\\nmaterial_flow_laye

Sad that I don't know any of this eh?  TYVM  PDC

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Flow % display

Cura doesn't use M221 to set the flow rate - it calculates the extrusion lengths and takes the flow rate into account, so they're in the E values of the G1 moves.

It's generally quicker for the printer to adjust to different flow rates than using M221 commands, especially when you're changing it frequently (like if you use different flow rates for different types of the print, i.e. infill, walls, support).

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    added bit about flow rate