Process of saving GCode to USB device is unneccessarily complicated on Linux

JPT58

Posted · Process of saving GCode to USB device is unneccessarily complicated on Linux

Hi,

whenever I want to save a gcode file to my printers SD card I have to do the following process, summing up almost 10 clicks:

- insert SD card

- click media devices in KDE tray

- open additional mount options for device

- click mount  only

- close menu

- got to cura

- open save menu in the bottom right corner

- select device

- click save

- click eject (eject works directly without any external work necessary)

While part of this is not Curas fault, other parts could be improved.

What I want to suggest is: 

- check why mounting from Cura does not work on Kubuntu 23.10 (especially because unmount works)

- unhide the save/print menu so you can single click save instead of having to click 3 times.

- remove drives from the menu that are not meant to be saved to (it always wants to save to my data partition, which does not work because of permissions and does not make sense because I cannot insert a 3.5" drive into my printer)

thank you very much

JPT

Linux 6.5.0-21-generic

KDE 5:144ubuntu2

Cura 5.6.0 from flatpak

Posted · Process of saving GCode to USB device is unneccessarily complicated on Linux

I managed to remove the SATA drive (and USB printer) from this list by excluding "all devices" for the Cura app in Flatseal.

59 minutes ago, JPT58 said:

- insert SD card

- click media devices in KDE tray

- open additional mount options for device

- click mount  only

- close menu

Not Cura's fault. You should be able to make KDE automount external storage, but I can't remember where.

1 hour ago, JPT58 said:

- click eject (eject works directly without any external work necessary)

Modern operating systems have supported safely removing external storage without manually unmounting it first for a while now.

Also, there is no official support for a Flatpak version of Cura that I know of. UltiMaker provides AppImage downloads, which are supported.

• Like 1

UltiMaker -ONLY- releases on github and only here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/releases

Any other download source for UltiMaker Cura including flatpak and any other package manager that might have UltiMaker Cura listed is considered unofficial releases and not maintained by UltiMaker.
    If there is issues with releases of these types you will need to contact whoever is publishing the releases.