How to set different setting for one object: Spiralize Outer Contour

KV28

Posted · How to set different setting for one object: Spiralize Outer Contour

Hello! 

I rarely turn to asking questions in forums, but after searching for options endlessly I have come to conclusion, that I have to.

Q: Is there any way to set "Spiralize Outer Contour" to just one part of the model? 
Model consists of two parts - lower part has to be done as normal print, but the upper part of model could use a smooth outer shell with no seam. I was trying to find option using "Per Model Settings", but it seams that Spiralize option is not available for separate parts.

2024-03-03 21_34_13-Window.png

Posted (edited) · How to set different setting for one object: Spiralize Outer Contour

It's possible to change almost every setting for a certain part of a model, or for different models... except that. Spiralising is a setting for the whole scene, not individual models.

If you want to get down and dirty, you can try slicing them as two separate gcode files and then merge the files by taking the layers from the top section and adding them to the file for the bottom, but that's getting a bit technical for a quick explanation here.

4 hours ago, KV28 said:

I rarely turn to asking questions in forums, but after searching for options endlessly I have come to conclusion, that I have to

Don't be afraid. We don't bite.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

Posted (edited) · How to set different setting for one object: Spiralize Outer Contour

Slashee nailed it.  You will need to splice two files together.  There is a trick to smooth the process.

Just talkin' here...

Let's say you want the print to change from normal to spiralize at layer 250.

• Put a "Pause at Height" at layer 250.
    • Slice the file with the "normal" settings for the base and save the gcode as "something_base.gcode".
    • Switch over to "Spiralize" and touch up your settings.  Do not change the layer height (you will learn how to do that in the advanced class).
    • Slice the file and save the gcode as "something_upper.gcode".
    • Open the base file and search for "PauseAtHeight".
    • Delete everything from the line ";script: PauseAtHeight.py" to the end of the "base" file.
    • Open the "upper" file.
    • Search for PauseAtHeight again in the Upper file.
    • Copy everything from the Z return line (similar to "G1 F300 Z15.2") to the end of the file.  That line is usually 2 lines below the actual pause line.
    • Paste all of that into the new end of the base file.
    • Do a "save-as".  I usually name the file "something_combined.gcode".

The base will print, the printer will see the transition code and shuffle over to the start of the spiralize, the extruder location will be set to continue, and Bob's your uncle.

;TYPE:CUSTOM
    ;added code by post processing
    ;script: PauseAtHeight.py

BASE FILE UP TO THIS POINT

UPPER FILE FROM HERE DOWN TO THE END

G1 F300 Z15.2 ;>>>>>>>>>This line might seem wrong if Z-hops are enabled.
    G1 F9000 X106.155 Y105.917 ;>>>>>>This is the XY "return to"
    G1 F300 Z15.2 ; resume height >>>>>double check this for sure
    G1 F2100 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    M82 ; switch back to absolute E values
    G92 E2271.49422 ;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>This sets the E location so the print will continue smoothly.

The same trick can be used to change layer heights.  If the base is at 0.20 Layer Height and the upper is at 0.10 layer height then the "Pause" in the second file would be at layer 2X whatever it was in the first file.  In the example above the pause in the second file would be at layer 500.

You must always double check that the extruder location, XY return location, and the Z height are correct.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1