Print path fills a hole unexpectedly, how can I fix it?

Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Print path fills a hole unexpectedly, how can I fix it?

Hello Masters,

I am new to using Cura software and I am not familiar with the options. I am using the software to slice for 3D printing of concrete, which explains the filament width in case anyone wonders lol. 

My problem is that on the third layer of printing, the print path moves towards one corner of the object and creates a kind of circular fill, as if it were covering a hole. Im worried this could affect the quality of the printed element. In the following picture, the print path towards the corner and the subsequent "hole filling process" is included.

image.thumb.png.9e7c425aef5453f2169527da07d15868.png

I'm using cura on Mac OS Sonoma 14.3.1
Software version 5.6.0.
Custom printer, with
Nozzle size 15 mm
Layer height 7 mm
Number of walls are 2.
Spiralization is off
Silicing Tolerance is Middle

I dont know what is causing this,

Thank you for your help and patience.

a.png

If you could share the Cura project file (.3mf, just set it up, slice it, then go to File > Save Project) that would immensely help us figure out the problem. Just the screenshot and the description isn't usually enough to figure it out in a situation like this, it's probably a specific setting playing up.

My initial suggestion based on your description would be:

• Make sure Walls > Print Thin Walls is turned off
    • Set Walls > Minimum Feature Size to your line width (if that goes overboard in removing stuff, just lower it about 0.5mm at a time and see if you can hit a sweet spot)
    • Make sure Walls > Hole Horizontal Expansion is set to 0mm.

Some of these settings might not show up without setting it to show expert or all settings, or you could search for them.

(But the Cura project file would be a million times better)

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Print path fills a hole unexpectedly, how can I fix it?
    2 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

If you could share the Cura project file (.3mf, just set it up, slice it, then go to File > Save Project) that would immensely help us figure out the problem. Just the screenshot and the description isn't usually enough to figure it out in a situation like this, it's probably a specific setting playing up.

My initial suggestion based on your description would be:

• Make sure Walls > Print Thin Walls is turned off
    • Set Walls > Minimum Feature Size to your line width (if that goes overboard in removing stuff, just lower it about 0.5mm at a time and see if you can hit a sweet spot)
    • Make sure Walls > Hole Horizontal Expansion is set to 0mm.

Some of these settings might not show up without setting it to show expert or all settings, or you could search for them.

(But the Cura project file would be a million times better)

Thank you and sorry for not sharing the Cura project file before. Turning on thin walls solves my problem actually. These options were hidden and I had to turn on all settings to find that. Thanks again!

I would appreciate any suggestions / help / advice.

project_file_max.3mf

Edited by maxipoblete
    • Like 1

• Solution
    12 hours ago, maxipoblete said:

Turning on thin walls solves my problem actually.

Slicing troubleshooting 101: play with settings until it looks right.

• Laugh 1

11 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Slicing troubleshooting 101: play with settings until it looks right.

Lol yes! Sometimes that's the only way,  Here's the result.. (it's concrete 😄

ScreenshotofArcat06-03-2024at11_21_08.thumb.png.c25caa64a45a5fe2f33f6c3c3ace2a07.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maxipoblete said:

Here's the result.. (it's concrete 😄

I may have to bookmark that post and link to it every time someone says ABS is stronger than PLA. Pretty sure both lose to yours.

23 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

I may have to bookmark that post and link to it every time someone says ABS is stronger than PLA. Pretty sure both lose to yours.

Take unreinforced concrete and drop it from 3' on a rock. It will shatter. Do the same with similar sized PLA/ABS, it might crack. Add the tiniest bit of reinforcement to the concrete and ... then you win.

So @maxipoblete, how are you reinforcing the concrete? And please please please tell me you are printing a chicken shed or something not quite a house.