Cura will not open up

a7abw

Posted · Cura will not open up

I've been using V5.4 and 5.5 without any issues until yesterday - but clicking on the Cura icon now does not open the program. I downloaded and installed V5.6 but have the same result.

I'm running Windows 10 and haven't changed anything on my computer (at least not to my knowledge).

Any advice / recommendations will be appreciated.

Thank you.

If you could post the cura.log file from %APPDATA%\cura\5.6\ (as well as 5.5 and 5.4 if they were working fine) and if it's there, the stderr.log file from %APPDATA%\cura\ we can have a look to see if anything looks amiss.

Good morning Slashee, thank you for the response.

There is no cura.log in the 5.6 folder, only a cura.cfg file.

The 5.5 folder only has a cura.log.1 file

The 5.4 folder only has a cura.cfg file

There are no stderr.log files in any of the folders

Earlier versions (all the way back to 4.8) all contain the cura.log.1 files

I tried to attach the cura.log.1 file from 5.5 but it gets rejected.

I hope that this helps you to diagnose the problem.

Thank you

Posted (edited) · Cura will not open up

Make a backup of all the %APPDATA%\cura\x.x\  folders and then delete all of the x.x folders. This sometimes helps to get Cura to the point initializing itself w/o trying to integrate former configuration files. Maybe it help you too. You can then try later adding the old configurations back from your backup and check where the problem came from.

Regarding not able to attach the log file. Make a zip file from  the log file and attach the zip. This should work.

Edited by DivingDuck
    Edit info for attaching a log file here

3 hours ago, DivingDuck said:

Make a backup of all the %APPDATA%\cura\x.x\  folders and then delete all of the x.x folders.

Skip the middleman. Rename the entire cura folder.

• Like 1

Thanks DD, but that file has a .1 after cura.log.1 Not sure if this can cause some issues.

Slashee, please elaborate a bit, I'm not not very clear on your suggestion.

I assume you are referring to the main cura folder in AppData/Roaming/cura)?

What do I do after renaming the folder? Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks.

Slashee, I did rename the folder as cura.test and when I launched Cura, it recreated cura as a new folder and the program opened normally. However, none of my previously saved profiles are there - is it possible to retrieve them from the cura.test folder?

Thank you for your continued input.

Posted (edited) · Cura will not open up
    47 minutes ago, a7abw said:

Thanks DD, but that file has a .1 after cura.log.1 Not sure if this can cause some issues.

Guess you tried to zip the log file and somehow the file extension was overwritten with .1

16 minutes ago, a7abw said:

However, none of my previously saved profiles are there - is it possible to retrieve them from the cura.test folder?

Yes, you can copy the profiles from your renamed folder. and look if Cura will start. If Cura wont start after copying the files you can delete them again and add a new printer profile as you did that the first time using Cura.

Up to this point we now already that Cura will start again if you remove the old configuration folder. This is already progress. +1

When you try to copy the old configuration please do not copy the plugin folder. This way you can check if the problem came from an older plugin version.

Edited by DivingDuck
    • Like 1