Mesh tool

Go to solution Solved by DivingDuck,

Posted (edited) · Mesh tool

am curious about the mesh tool/plugin. 

Have an STL file where the parts are meshed together. This STL prints fine and is amazing.. 

So I right click/mesh tool/and select split model into parts - then all these strange errors appear

Then I resize parts accordingly/ slice it and then take the gode file and send it to the printer. 

This file won't print - it basically distorts the whole print on the bed.

How does one split it into parts and not get these errors. File won't print correctly after being split but looks perfect but has all these error notifications. 

File is attached if you want to try.  File is in its normal state with no errors. 

Using Cura 5.6.0 

MacBook Pro running 14.3.1 

There is an image of the file being printed without the mesh tool and there is an image of the file printed after using the mesh tool. Have done it 4 times with the mesh tool and get the same results. It really does mesh the prints together - literally.. 

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 9.07.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 9.08.52 AM.png

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

all-frame-parts.3mf

Edited by flight-commander

• Solution
    Posted · Mesh tool

Looking to the attached model I think it was originally designed for a resin printer.

Meshtools indicate that the model isn't watertight. Sometimes it slices correct sometimes not. Repairing the Mesh did not help. It looks like the problem came from the model itself.

When I try to separate the models it came to a count of 579 single model fragments. I would suggest asking the designer of this model.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Mesh tool
    2 hours ago, flight-commander said:

Thanks for trying.. appreciate it....bummer that not all STL files are created equally.. 

If you're running Windows, Microsoft's "3D Builder" app is actually really awesome at fixing errors in STL files. You just need to open it, click the tick in the top left, and there should be a popup in the bottom right saying it's invalid and click that to fix it. Then you can just save the fixed version.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll fix your problem here but it's good to know for in the future.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow