Incompatible GCode

Ranshii
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted (edited) · Incompatible GCode

Hello, I'm trying to print some STLs on my Ender 3 using PLA and Cura 5.6.0 but I get this message as soon as I open the file on the slicer.

image.thumb.png.8de408406e5f85212233472ee8e53829.png

I googled "g code incompatibility" and "incompatible g code" but I can't find anything of interest.

Is it there any way to solve this? I have been printing for about a week so my knowledge is basic at best.

Here's a link to the STLs https://cults3d.com/:151850

Thank you.

Edited by Ranshii
Tag update

Posted · Incompatible GCode

For at least one of the objects, you're opening a gcode file, not an STL file. Cura can render gcode files for almost any printer but can't confirm whether it will work on yours, which is why the warning is there.

59 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

For at least one of the objects, you're opening a gcode file, not an STL file. Cura can render gcode files for almost any printer but can't confirm whether it will work on yours, which is why the warning is there.

Okay, I understand what you're telling me, so I might need to convert the GCode back into an STL? (Can that even be done?) Because Cura doesn't even let me move the models around or modify them in any way.

You can't go backwards from a gcode file to an STL. The STL has a lot more detail and hasn't been altered to make it print properly.

If the gcode file you have is for the same model of printer you have (or a very similar one) you should be able to print it without any problems though.

Posted (edited) · Incompatible GCode
    27 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

You can't go backwards from a gcode file to an STL. The STL has a lot more detail and hasn't been altered to make it print properly.

If the gcode file you have is for the same model of printer you have (or a very similar one) you should be able to print it without any problems though.

Gotcha, thanks for your input.

The issue here now are dimensions, I cannot alter them or move the objects around to fit the bed any better, judging by my screenshot do you think this is doable on an Ender 3?

And how should I go about printing these? They're already G-Codes so I just gotta send them to the printer like the ones I convert myself, right?

I'm also ignorant on how to know "if they're for my type of printer" as the maker of the models does not specify this, how do I check that?

Edited by Ranshii
    Adding missing question

• Solution
    1 hour ago, Ranshii said:

The issue here now are dimensions, I cannot alter them or move the objects around to fit the bed any better, judging by my screenshot do you think this is doable on an Ender 3?

When Cura loaded the preview, the fit on the bed, so that shouldn't be a problem.

And how should I go about printing these? They're already G-Codes so I just gotta send them to the printer like the ones I convert myself, right?

Yep!

I'm also ignorant on how to know "if they're for my type of printer" as the maker of the models does not specify this, how do I check that?

Open the gcode file in a text editor - a lot of slicers will put at either the top or bottom of the file what printer it was sliced for. But an Ender 3 is pretty standard as printers go, so unless they sliced it for something less common it should be alright. You can post the file here if you're not sure and we can have a look, or - just try it. It shouldn't be able to damage your printer or anything (the firmware should prevent that) but just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't look like the preview, cancel the print.

40 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

When Cura loaded the preview, the fit on the bed, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Yep!

Open the gcode file in a text editor - a lot of slicers will put at either the top or bottom of the file what printer it was sliced for. But an Ender 3 is pretty standard as printers go, so unless they sliced it for something less common it should be alright. You can post the file here if you're not sure and we can have a look, or - just try it. It shouldn't be able to damage your printer or anything (the firmware should prevent that) but just keep an eye on it and if it doesn't look like the preview, cancel the print.

Alright! Thank you for your help, first two questions are answered for me.

Done that text editor thing! So there's this section that says base profile, this is the information I need to look at am I correct?

If the printer's name appears in there it means it will print, if it doesn't it's not sure that it will, I assume.

image.thumb.png.533809c0d7f09986b4542afc12126385.png

Correct! So if the file you have says Ender 3, you should be good.

Thank you for all of your help and patience, it took me almost 2 years to get started in this due to how unwelcoming the community was to those that were just starting (or anyone asking questions, Facebook sucks), I'm glad to have a different experience in here, I'll be back if I have any more questions.

Thanks again ♥