UM3 No WiFi after firmware upgade

mech-thkoeln
Go to solution Solved by mech-thkoeln,

Posted · UM3 No WiFi after firmware upgade

Dear all,

i had to upgrade my UM3 to the newest firmware (um-update-5.3.0.20211003.swu). Now it is impossible to connect to a wifi.

Before the upgrade wifi worked flawlessly.

I start wifi setup, connect to the UM3 hotspot and enter the network credentials. After this the UM3 states "Waiting for network..." forever. In the network settings it switches always back to wired network after setup.

Any idea?

Thanks for input.

The latest version of firmware for the UM3 was released October 2021
    all that update did was update the secure cert verification for connecting to Digital Factory and had no impacts on hardware/drivers etc at all..

August 2021 had a firmware update for wifi related stuff.
    But before that one would have been... May 2019? that had any updates for wifi stuff.

You must have been on a extremely old version of firmware if there was a update that impacted your wifi or there was already a issue from the start.

You can find historic release notes for firmware here: https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667410775027

I would recommend reaching out to UltiMaker support to troubleshoot your issue.
    UltiMaker does not offer direct support via community
    Contact Support here: https://support.ultimaker.com/s/contactsupport

Posted (edited) · UM3 No WiFi after firmware upgade

Thanks. It was the initial firmware from 2018.

However, it printed as it should.

I raised an issue at ultimaker. I will post the solution -if any- for others...

Edited by mech-thkoeln

A long shot, but also consider your WiFi router to be the problem. Over the years, security updates were added, including dropping the support for some communication protocols that are now considered unsafe. Perhaps your router has old firmware and is now incompatible with the UM3?

As a quick check, when you start the network setup, can you then connect to the printer over WiFi?

• Solution

The issue is solved with the help of Ultimaker support.

After factory reset and another firmware update it works now. However, the printer would now like to upgrade endlessly as it thinks the firmware 5.3 in the online repository is newer as the installed firmware 5.3.0.

Thanks for help!

• Like 1

The online version = 5.3.0.20211003

I'm not sure how Ultimaker Support helped you to install the other firmware, but my suspicion is that it's an identical v5.3.0, but with a different date.

The screen message is misleading, it says 'newer', but means 'different'.

Can't you exit the endless loop by selecting the 'Ignore" option? This will stop bothering you with the update pop-up until a new version is available online. Manual installation is always possible from the menu.

This is an old problem but I think I've cracked it... My WiFi was working flawlessly with 5.3.0, but in preparing my unit for sale, I did a factory reset. In setting up I suffered from the WiFi issues mentioned in this thread. It was not clear as an incorrect password would de rejected, but with a correct password things went askew. I attached a LAN cable and did some digging, but found nothing. 

Then I thought back how I set up the printer and considered the 2+ connected printer behaviour... I  set up the digital factory via the LAN and after that, setting up the WiFi worked!

Original post was here

also I noticed that after factory reset things worked well if I follow the Digital Factory path in combination with WiFi. After WiFi is up and running one can disconnect the Digital Factory.

For online update: I made the online update twice - but the Firmware still thinks there is a newer version online. Seems to be a bug. Just abort the following update.

When the version number is the same, then the update is not executed. But, when the date online is different from the internal date, then the printer keeps bothering you, unless you select 'ignore'.

You could also do a downgrade (from usb file) and then an upgrade again.